26

A bang of gunshot, the pain of a bullet through my chest one hard fall into the Underworld and one yank back up and I was gasping on the remains of the garage and saw Thantos standing over me handcuffed and scowling. Chance was pale in the face and I struggled to my feet only to be smacked across the face the second I was close enough to get within range.

"Ow!" I exclaimed rubbing my face while her's went as red as her hair.

"Don't. Ever. Ask. Me. To. Do. That. Ever. Again," she spat and I continued rubbing my stinging cheek shrugging.

"Worked didn't it?" I asked turning towards Thantos who looked really annoyed with me. "Can you zap us to NYC? Specifically the Brooklyn Bridge? We need to get there and we do not have a lot of time."

He looked back at me then Chance and something flashed in his eyes that I didn't get, but he nodded a bit. "You have to wait until after midnight, then I can do it."

"Why then?" I asked in a sharp tone, "we don't have alot of time, we have work to do, this is our-!"

"He can't help it!" Chance interjected cutting across my stream of angry words. "He has to wait a day or the minute those cuffs come off the bullet hole in your chest comes back."

That stopped my objections, I wasn't ready to die for long-term right now, but I wasn't able to stop my question. "If he stays handcuffed anyone will not die until it's gone right?"

"Yes," Thantos asked, "they will not die. So we have to get to a no-mans land until further notice. The other gods will start looking for me once they realize I'm not doing my job."

"Okay," I said, "you're the boss, just let me get our stuff," and I made to move back in the house, but Chance grabbed my arm. "What?"

"Don't bother," she said handing me the knife and brandishing both of the guns. "We have to travel super light from here on out. Whatever happens now, you and I aren't going to be running from the gods anymore. We're going to be running towards them." My mouth went dry but I grabbed the bronze gun from Chance, she was right. We didn't need our five ton backpacks anymore. This was a give me liberty or give me death situation now. It wasn't run and live to fight another day like what we'd been doing.  "Um Xander," said Chance grabbing my arm as I turned away again. "No offense bu i think I should hold onto that I'm the better shot."

I shook my head and checked to make sure the safety was on before I stuck the barrel into the waistband of my jeans. "No, they gave this to me I have to be the one to use it."

Chance looked a little shell-shocked when I said that. "What if you miss her? I checked, there is one bullet. We get one shot to get her and I'm the best one we have. Give me the gun." She held out her hand again eyes narrowed in a dangerous warning sign that I was possibly about to get punched.

"Trust me," I said backing away hands up in a calming gesture which I was sure was not working. "This is a feeling and I need to follow it. It worked back in the Luxor it's going to work now. Trust me."

She stopped advancing and though her eyes were still sort of narrow I no longer felt in danger of a fight. "Fine," she said rubbing her temples and I saw pain flash across her face and I guessed she had a headache. Damn that had to suck. Absent mindedly I rubbed at my sternum feeling that prickly heat from another case of heartburn coming on. Oh fucking great, I grimaced and rubbed at the burning area like it would do something.

"Where do we go now?" I asked."Where do we get to wait before you can send us away?"

"Away, just follow me," he said and he ducked under the destroyed garage door which was white at one point, but it was charred and blackened now from whatever had saved me from the gorgons.