2

My escape plan went wrong the second my foot left the cell. Alarms started making noises like elephants playing the tuba, cat's tails being stepped on, car alarms going off and a ton of other noises that sounded awful. Red lights started flashing like sirens. I heard a creak I knew too well and dove out of the way of my cell bars just as they slammed back to the shut position. My ears burned with the sounds, the red light made the walls look like blood, monsters were no doubt on their way but I was not giving up. This was my birthday and I'm sure someone somewhere said birthday wishes have a special kind of magic. I made my wish, I wished to leave this place forever and I was going to do it.

I started I running glad I was sort of in shape still from basketball season and working in the yard for a year. My heart beat faster and faster as just as I cleared the first cell on my right a large, bony, leathery-feeling claw slammed me against the wall by my neck crushing my windpipe looked up and found myself face to face with a Fury. "Going for a nightly stroll are we Xander?" She growled pressing her claw harder against my throat the bones in my neck popping from the strain and my oxygen burning away as I was slowly strangled. I needed to get away from her! Instinct took over as I became briefly aware of the key still in my hand and with as much force as I could muster I stabbed it into her eye, something hot and sticky exploded out onto my hand. She howled, the animal sound mixing with everything else and I felt myself go weightless as she dropped me.

I slammed onto the floor hard, pain running up by butt and through my back but I didn't have time to think about it as I scrambled up. I saw the monster dive for me. I jumped down, sliding onto my stomach and dove under her, her face smashed into the wall. I grinned, the magic of birthdays and the use of blinding evil things with keys. I didn't have much time to smile as I started running again, I'm glad the cells are close to the back door shitty design really putting the exit that close to the holding. I slammed into the door pretty hard, teeth shaking and hurriedly tried to find the key hole. A place this big would have too many keys if you had one key for every door. It has to be one skeleton key for everything, it worked on my cuffs, and my cell it had to work here too. It really had to or I am a dead man. My hands fumbled across the door, searching for the bump that is a keyhole and heard a consecutive chorus of angry growling reached my ears as I turned, my heart beating so fast I felt like my chest would break open.

Eight sets of red eyes stare up at me, killer intent written all over them. Ah fuck! "Nice dogs," I said stepping forward a bit, these are monsters but aren't dogs, dogs? The first dogs were wolves right? And if I looked away it was sign of weakness, though I'd spent more time dozing than studying in Bio I was sure that pack animals respected strength. "Nice SUV sized dogs, nice angry blood-thirsty dogs." I reached out a hand towards one of them and instantly makes a lunge at me clearly wanting to tear my hand off. Another dog jumped toward me missing my face, but he got my shoe. I yanked my leg back, the sneaker ripping and the dog violently shook his head, and spat out the shoe. That made me realize something, these things have horrible depth perception. Another one lunged at me and this time I aimed a kick and I hit him where it hurt, animal or not all males had one common weak spot right between their legs. He yelped like a kicked puppy, his whimper mixing with everything else and his pals went back to help him. I backed entirely against the door thoughh I'd never be able to force it open if I didn't find I felt something indent in my back. The keyhole. A surge of hope ran through me and I quickly shoved the key into the lock and turned it, it made a huge clicking noise and then I realized what I forgot to take into account; the weight of this door. I was only half human I did not have the strength to open this alone. Fuck.

The growls started up again, and I turned to see the dog I kicked in the jewels get up and shake himself like he was wet, and I then noticed he had a log chain collar on. He was the one I took the key from. He growled once and his legs tensed. They all jumped; teeth the size of most kitchen knives bared right at me; full intent to tear off my face. I didn't think then I just slid down the door and covered my face. Survival became what it was all about. I heard a series of loud cracks, whimpers and one loud creeeak over the alarm. I looked up and saw a ray of moonlight creeping through a narrow opening in the door. Birthday wishes do come true. I slid back through the opening as the dogs started recovering from their impact against the steel door.

My feet hit the packed ground with a crunch as I made a beeline for the wall. It was huge sure, but I anything was better than staying here. There were cracks all over it. I'd spent year looking at them, they grew deeper with every rainfall it shouldn't be that hard to find hand and foot holes. I jumped up and gripped the rock with my fingertips pressing into cracks, my feet inside cracks;I was right this should be an easy climb as far as hand and foot holes went.I started climbing pretty fast considering it was so dark out and that I'd never actually done something like this before. I'd climbed in a harness at a gym rock wall with Chelsea on a date once, but that was two years ago. I was amazed at how well I was doing, just a little farther and I'd be- a bright white light shone down on me, blinding me a second as I was briefly reminded of an old crime movie.

I looked up I wasn't that far from the top, just a few inches, and that's when I realized I'd forgotten something extremely important. The Eumpusa that patrol the outside with their AK-45s every night. Shit. "Get down here Shannon!" the angry voice I recognized instantly as the Warden himself, Chiron. I looked down, the snake ladies had all off their guns pointed at me, their fingers all on the trigger and ready to fire.

I looked back up at the top...I go for it I could escape and live or I could die. I go back down, I could also live but I'd be beat within an inch of my life. No contest. I started climbing like hell. The steady hail of gunfire sounded off as I stepped over the barbed wire that lined the top of the wall. I stood up shakily as the wire tore into my skin and in an instant I felt a sharp, hot pain burn into my shoulder, I felt myself tilt forward, and using what sense I did have. I pushed my feet against the wall, hoping I'd get past the thorn bushes. And for a second I felt like I could fly.

***************************************

Thoughts on this chapter? I'd love to hear what you guys think! Dedicated to Visulas because she left me avery nice comment on the first chapter and gets how great Rick Roirdan is!