19

We hit the Interstate from Walmart about an hour after the shopping trip and I watched as the sun painted the eastern sky with blinding light that made me throw down the flappy thing by the driver's seat. Apollo was the guy that did that wasn’t he? My other half- brother I think he was, not wholly sure. Was he as much of an asshole as the rest of my family? Or was he like Thantos? Was he a good guy? I didn’t know, and I didn’t like it at all, if I was going to be fighting the gods (all this time and it still sounds stupid) I wanted to know who was on my side and who I needed to be beat the shit out of. Sure, I did know  who we were looking for and why, but I did not know who was all on my side. Hesita and Thantos? Yes, but I didn't know that until after I met them. I'd nearly ratted Hestia out because I was out of the know. I did not like that either, what was I supposed to do if I ran into a god or goddess alone? “Hi are you with me or the Council?” for a greeting was not a good idea. I decided that when Chance was up I wanted the full story.

Full story….and that’s when I had a light bulb moment, Chance was a female James Bond. No doubt about that, but you aren’t born a female James Bond. You work at it, you don’t learn all about the gods territories, monsters and other shit when Death saves you from drowning, if Chance thought the Fates were trapped on Elis Island and Ares knew she was there. One of the gods would have spotted her when Thantos pulled her out of the water, it wouldn’t have been safe to stay out and explain all of that then and there. Plus, that stuff is hard to grasp right away, she had to have an understanding of it before she went on the run.

There was more to all of this, and she wasn’t telling me any of it. My death grip on the wheel returned as the morning came around and I decided Chance wasn’t going to get let off the hook when she woke up. Which didn't take long, twenty odd minutes later she woke up with wild hair and a groggy voice asking; "You need to switch drivers for a bit?"

I shook my head and I pulled into a rest stop over her strong objections. I think she grouched about the lack of territories but it was closer to a no-man’s-land then the Interstate as far as I was concerned. I slid into a parking space and put it in park, I wasn't going to cut the engine, just in case we needed a quick escape.

“Shut the Hades up!” I growled and Io my surprise she did. Guess my telling her to shut up shocked her. “You’re not telling me everything Little Red and it’s not okay.”

Little Red?!” she shrieked her voice clawing at my ears, and I ground my teeth and pressed on. Right now she was too stunned to kick my ass and I needed to take advantage of that moment.

 I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned to look at her and I guess I looked mad because my words came out harsher than I intended.“You said Thantos taught you what you know about gods and monster, but it took you an hour to explain it all to me. For or all I know you’re smarter than I am, but this shit is hard to wrap your head around no matter your GPA. And if there are so many gods over Elis Island how did you escape notice? One of them had to be watching the –would- be prison of the Fates.”

Chance opened her mouth, then closed it, then opened it again and mumbled something like, “Oh now you get smart!”

“You’re letting me walk with a blindfold on," I accused crossing my arms. "This game is too dangerous for me to do that. Fess up.”

“I’ve told you everything you need to know to get around this with or without me,” Chance said her voice surprisingly quiet as she stared down at her hands. “What I have kept to myself is personal, and concerns you in no way, shape or form. Please just give it a rest.”

“Please? When did you develop manners?” I asked knowing how snide that remark was. I was kind of being a jerk, but this was too dangerous for her too keep secrets.