10

Chance bared her teeth and her body language changed to defense. “Ares,” she growled. Oh Hades! I knew very little about the Greek myths, but I knew this guy, the god of war. Of al the fucking luck! I tensed, if he was the god of war there was no way this was going to end without blood.

Ares smiled making the twisting scars on his face move. “Chance, I have to say I’m unimpressed. You’re reputation made me hope for a better evasion tactic.  This is a pity. Though I suppose my little brother here made your escape a little harder.  Newbies are always hard to have in tow

“I’ve got a brother too? Gods my family hates me!” I complained,, couldn't I have one realtive that wasn't a jackass? “Just let us go dude.” I said hoping Chance had dirt on this guy too. Maybe daddy dearest went both ways. It wasn't impossible.

“Yeah join the club,” Chance muttered cocking the hammer on the pistol. “Now get out of here before I scatter your essence all over the Underworld.”

Ares laughed and it sent a hundred spiders down my spine, “Tough talk for a half-breed.” Half-breed? Something in my gut told me that was supposed to be an insult related to our half human, half god status and though I normally didn't think about it I was offended. So being half god made this an easy catch? Oh no fucking way! I scowled and narrowed my eyes, heart beating even faster as fight or flight response traveled through my body.

“I’m tough enough to take you on,” Chance growled shoving the pistol into my hands. Guess she trusted my ability to shoot a pistol more than my knife fighting.

“Please,” said a female voice that didn’t sound like Chance. Another flash of lightening and I saw a black woman with a brown sweater and jeans on, her face looked imploring at Ares. “We don’t want to make a scene.”

Ares snorted and cracked his knuckles like some wannabe-thug. “Fine, I’ll go easy for you."

“Xander get out here,” Chance ordered daring to take one glance at me before zeroing back in on Ares and the woman.

My haze of adrenaline and anger cleared a moment;  run off and let a girl take on the grizzly bear sized guy? Not in a hundred years! If we went down we went down together, I wasn't gonna leave her. Though my chances of surviving in this fight weren't every good...My pride and head we’re conflicted but I didn’t have much time to decide, a blur of motion had Ares’s hand around Chance’s neck and hoisted up and off the ground. My pride made up its mind, I turned and started for Chance and that jackass that is my brother, but I barely got one foot off the ground when a wall of fire sprung up around me.  I yelped and jumped back as two arms wrapped around me. One around my neck, the other around my waist. Oh shit.

“Listen here Xander,” said the girl. “On the count of three I’m going to ‘misfire’ an attack at Ares. When that happens hit my with your gun, butt or barrel I don’t care. Just knock me out.”

  “What?” I said sure I was now dead and hearing things.

“One," she said either not noticing my confusion or maybe this was what I could expect in the afterlife. Being confused and scared until the end of time since I really haven't done anything (I hope) to deserve being beaten and in pain forever.

“Hey lady what gives?” I protested freaked out as I realized my heart was beating still. I am not dead so what the fuck is going on? Clearly this lady was a goddess, why was she helping me?!

“Two,” she was clearly ignoring me and I was clearly alive. What the hell? What sort of reality it this supposed to be?

"Hey,” I tried again.

  “Three!” she released me and the wall of fire shifted and blasted itself a few inches away from my right shoulder and it knocked Ares over sending both him and Chance sprawling onto the road.