x

"I don't understand machines," I swung my legs as I sat on a desk in the hangar.

I think today was the first time Poe has seen me truly casual in the three months I've known him. I wore a black t-shirt and army green pants with black combat boots. Today was my day off and since Esma was working I decided to be with Poe and BB-8.

The droid and I played a matching game, I would whistle a tune and BB-8 would repeat it back to me. Poe was in the cockpit cleaning his controls.

"What do you mean you don't understand machines?" Poe questioned and hopped onto the ground with a dirty rag and spray bottle.

I shrug.

"Machine oil and grease is gross."

Poe raised his eyebrows.

"You literally cut people open and grease is gross?"

I give Poe a small glare.

"Well if you say it like that I sound like a psycho."

All of a sudden Poe smirked, he held up his greasy towel and I already knew what was going to happen.

"Poe don't you dare." I warn and hop off of where I was sitting cautiously.

"Whatever happened to Commander Dameron?" Poe asked. "I guess I've downgraded."

Poe starts to chase me and I squeak and run away.

"Poe Dameron you better not touch me with that rag!" I giggle and run around the hangar.

Poe laughed and followed me.

I twisted and turned through the pilots and ships trying to lose Poe but he was gaining up on me. I thought I had lost him when I turn around an X-Wing but he came out of nowhere and pulled me into him.

"Ah!" I said as he pulled me by my waist.

My back was pulled against his chest as the both of us laughed.

"I'm covered in motor oil and grease and now so are you."

"Hey Commander, looks like you're having fun." Another voice said.

Poe let go of me and we both turned to see who I remembered as Dak, a blonde haired pilot, and another standing there.

"This kid here thinks grease is gross but she stitches people up." Poe teased me to his colleagues.

"Kid?" Dak raises an eyebrow. "She's 27, Poe."

Fuck.

Poe's eyebrows raise. My eyes widen slightly.

"Oh?" Poe makes a discreet glance at me.

Dak smiles and nods.

"Yea her and the other doctor... uh - Onomula, Esma... they were in the same medical year, definitely not a kid."

"Well my bad then." Poe smiles as though it was the truth.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Oh no.

"I'm going to go back to BB-8." I say quickly and turn on my heel.

"Oh hey, before you go," Dak grabs my shoulder gently. "Uh, could you tell Esma I'd like to see her again."

His face was pink and he scratched the back of his neck. I smiled softly.

"Of course." And I beelined for BB.

"So you were in the same year as Esma." Poe leaned against his ship.

I whistled a tune for BB-8, he copied it.

"Yes." I respond and whistle again.

"But Esma is 27, and you're 23." He gave me an expressionless look.