xiii

I didn't expect Poe being on a mission to take such a toll on me, I really missed him. I kept having nightmares and I didn't know why, I was now scared of Damien even though I didn't want to be. I asked Esma to stay with me tonight, something she used to do when we were at the academy.

"Go brush your teeth, Stitches." Esma had her feet propped on my desk as she sat on my chair and read a book.

I obeyed her and washed my face as well. I dried my face and looked at myself in the mirror. I had dark circles under my green eyes and my lips seemed to be stuck in a frown. I see Esma enter the bathroom and look at me sympathetically. She really was beautiful, but then again I think everyone is.

Esma had blonde hair down to her butt, her family never believed in cutting it so she never did. She was about five inches taller than me and she had a wider nose. Our green eyes were the same, to let everyone know we were from Grenene. Her eyebrows were light so sometimes it looked like she didn't have any, but that's what makeup was for.

"Why did you call me 'Stitches'?" I break the silence.

Esma crosses her arms and leans against the doorframe, still looking at me through the mirror.

"I've been calling you Stitches for ten years."

"I know, I mean why did you start?" I clarify and place down the towel.

"Because you were the best in the academy, even though you were three years younger than all of us." Esma grabs my hand and leads me to my bed to sit down.

I do and she grabs my hairbrush.

"I love you, Esma." I say as she starts brushing my hair. She laughs softly.

"I love you too, Lyla, your the sister I always wanted."

I smiled, which made me feel weird because it's been a few days.

"Now let's talk about Poe, because I know he's a part of why you're like this." Esma places down my hairbrush and I turned towards her.

"It's gonna be weird for me to say my thoughts out loud." I warn her, but she nods encouragingly.

I take a breath and stare at my desk, it's a trick my mother taught me before she disappears. It's always easier for to speak when you don't have to look at people. Because then you're not really talking to them.

"I know I like him, that part is easy." I start. "But I'm conflicted, I think I'm too young for him, I mean I'm 23 and he's 29. That's almost 30-"

"Thank you, Lyla, for that math lesson." Esma interrupts and I giggle.

"- so I don't think he would want someone so young. Also I've kind of told him about the academy-"

"You told him what you did?!" Esma's jaw dropped.

"Please stop interrupting." I ask her and she closes her mouth. "Yes, I told him, and he didn't tell anyone. Me being his daughter, with that past would also be a reason for him to not like me. But then... but-he-ugh!"

I slap my hands to my face in exasperation. "But then he introduces me to his friends, and kisses my cheek as a thank you and is always wanting me around..."

Esma rubs my back and I wrap my arms around her waist and place my head on her shoulder.

"You're just really conflicted, aren't you?" Esma sighs and I nod into her shoulder.

It's quiet for a bit.

"Poe says my room is boring." I mumble into Esma's shoulder.

"Well he's kind of right." She says.

I lift my head up and look over towards my desk. Getting up, I cross the floor to open one of my drawers, taking out a picture and tape. It was a small picture of me and Esma our third year at the academy, in our bunks. We were making funny faces because I had a nightmare and she was trying to comfort me. I smile nostalgically and tape the photo to my wall.

Turning around I see Esma grin.

"That's a start." She approved. "Come on, let's go to sleep."

I let her get up and Esma lifts the covers to go in first, then I do. We lie facing each other and Esma raises her eyebrows.

"Really, Stitches?" She teases. "I know you're a cuddly sleeper so come here." She opens her arms and I smile and scoot towards her so she can hold me.

I really do love Esma, she's the only family I have. We lay in comfortable silence for a while as Esma hums to me and strokes my hair.

"Remember when you had a nightmare back at the academy and I would sleep with you?" I could hear the smile in her voice.

I nod my head.

"Remember when Drew Fauner couldn't understand why I kept saying no to going on a date with him?" We both laugh slightly at the memory.

"Well I don't blame him," Esma said. "You were 14 and had better boobs than half the girls."

We both laugh again before silence falls again.

"Thank you for never telling anyone my real age," I break the silence. Esma kisses the top of my head.

"That's what family does," she sighs. "They protect each other."

A little Lyla and Esma chapter do you can get a sense of their relationship!!

I hope you're enjoying the book, read on.

- Author