Chapter 2 - Are You Mad?

Madness is somewhere in-between chaos and having a dream - R.M Drake

M Drake

After a couple of minutes, Lillian heard the voice of Mr. Shelby. "Oi! Oi!" Lillian ignored him, not that he did anything wrong to her but just because she want to. She could hear his footsteps start to speed up and she turned just as he reached his hand out to her shoulder. She raised an eyebrow at him, crossing her arms.

"Yes." She said bluntly.

"You're new here aren't you, I've never seen you before." He said with curiosity.

"Yes, I'm new."

"How'd you know how to do that?" he asked, referring to Danny in the pub and she sighed, knowing he would bring that up as she started walking back to her home again, Thomas following beside her.

"It's not my first time seeing it, Mr. Shelby." She answered honestly.

"Does your partner have it after France?" he asked, and she chuckled.

"There's no man in my life Mr. Shelby." Lillian told him, and he nodded in thought wondering why someone like her wouldn't.

"How not?"

"Haven't had the time." She told him as she looked at the ground, there conversation ending making the only sound on the way back was what their shoes made as they walked as they didn't know what else to say. It was Thomas who eventually broke the silence as we turned onto the street of Watery Lane.

"Do you live here?" he asked, and she nodded, pointing over to her house.

"Yeah just got here this morning, I assume you live somewhere here or I might start questioning your intentions with me." She teased with a small smile and he half smiled, glancing at her as he nodded his head.

"I live right across from you actually. So, we'll be seeing each other a lot it."

"Will we now?" She asked with confidence and he nodded, lighting a cigarette as he started smoking. "Well its getting late isn't it. I better head in. Goodnight Mr. Shelby." Lillian gave him one last nod before heading for the door.

"I never got your name." he shouted after me and she stopped, turning with a smirk.

"You're apart of the Peaky Blinders, figure it out yourself." And with that she closed the door, noticing the smirk on his face as he turned away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following morning Lillian left the house in a dress for once and a fluffy overcoat due to the snow that appeared over night and walked towards the Garrison. She had seen in the newspaper that Harry was hiring and couldn't think of a better place to work than where she drinks.

"Alright Harry, I'm here for the position of barmaid." She said as soon as she entered, seeing Harry brushing the rubbish from yesterday's events away.

"Are you fucking crazy?" he asked, taking the Cigarette out of his mouth and Lillian smiled.

"A little bit, but who isn't?"

"Believe me love, I'd be doing you a favor." Harry said, and she sighed.

"Come on Harry, I can handle it."

"You're too nice." He commented, and she raised an eyebrow at him, crossing her arms.

"Really? That's your fucking excuse."

"Your too pretty, your lucky you can defend yourself or they would have you up against the wall." He told her, and she scoffed.

"Not bloody likely. Any man touches me in the wrong way and I'll be sending them on their way with a bottle of whiskey up they're arse." She threatened, and Harry's eyes widened slightly before she smiled at him. "And if you want, I can sing. Always calmed my brothers down at home." She added, and he rubbed the back of his neck, giving in.

"Alright but you better know at lot of songs because I don't have enough whiskey bottles for the boys." He said, and she chuckled nodding her head.

"I won't let you down." She jumped over the bar, flipping a bottle up into the air and catching it with ease. "Never do."

Lillian had been helping Harry in the bar for the past couple hours, cleaning the tables as he cleaned the floors when another woman came in, wearing a bright green dress with a matching hat, she was beautiful that you could tell from first glance with her soft features and blonde hair, someone you didn't find in a place like this, not that you would find a woman like Lillian there either.

"I'm here about the job as barmaid." She demanded confidently, and Lillian stopped what she was doing, looking her up and down before turning to Harry.

"Are you mad?" he asked her the same question as me.

"Am I what?" She asked, not expecting his question.

"Do you not know about this place?" he enquired, and she stepped forward.

"I saw it in an advertisement." She stated.

"Jobs been filled." He told her, going back to his cleaning.

"Sorry Doll, but I got here first." Lillian said from behind the bar not feeling sorry at all, something about her put her off and she didn't like it.

"Three's better than two." She insisted, and Harry looked over at Lillian.

"I'm not fucking getting involved, its up to you." He sighed at her response.

"I'd be doing you a favor." He told the woman, and she shook her head.

"I'm not looking for favors, I'm looking for employment."

"You're too nice." He replied, and Lillian rolled her eyes at the same excuse.

"How would you know?" She asked defensively, her shoulders tensing.

"You're too pretty, they'd have you up against the wall." He said, and Lillian chuckled in agreement.

"I have experience and references." She said giving him a piece of paper.

"She's persistent I'll give her that." Lillian muttered as she cleaned a glass.

"What part of Ireland are you from?" he asked.

"Galway. I worked in Dublin." She said, and he nodded.

"My mother is from Galway." He revealed, and Lillian rolled her eyes.

"Oh, this is not your life story Harry." He rolled his eyes at Lillian and she smiled, shaking his head at her.

"You're too pretty."

"Watch and listen." She said, taking her hat off and putting it on the table in front of her with her bag. She then made her way to the bar when she started singing, picking up the buckets as if nothing bothered her.

She was an okay singer, Lillian thought, not as good as her but she'd give it to her for her confidence. Once she finished, the woman stood in front of Harry. "In Ireland my singing made them cry and stopped them fighting."

"I hope you know a lot of songs." He told her, and she smiled, nodding her head and Lillian rolled her eyes looking straight at Harry.

"She's like a slightly uglier version of me, what could go wrong?"