Chapter 13 - Betrayal. How exciting

A good man or woman will be honest no matter how painful the truth is. A coward hides behind lies and deceit. - unknown

"Oh Arthur, why would you do that?" Was the first thing Lillian said as she rushed over to hug him, carefully not touching his neck

"Oh Arthur, why would you do that?" Was the first thing Lillian said as she rushed over to hug him, carefully not touching his neck. They had awoken to Polly knocking on her door, explaining that Arthur tried to hang himself last night. All the while she gave the pair knowing looks, which they ignored.

"So, Polly told you?" Arthur asked as Lillian pulled away.

"Yep." Tommy replied as he made himself a cup of tea. He hadn't said a word to Lillian about Arthur's incident. He took a sip of his tea before sighing. "You should've used a gun."

"Thomas!" She shouted, hitting him on the shoulder, hard. He looked up at her with a glare which she returned.

"Are you laughing at me, Tommy?" Arthur asked through gritted teeth and the pair answered at the same time.

"No."

"Yes."

Another hit to the shoulder.

"You're a right pain in the arse Tommy." She seethed, walking over to the glass cabinet and pouring herself a drink. Leaving Tommy to talk to Arthur.

"Just when things are starting to go right, Arthur, you try and do this." He explained to Arthur and Lillian scoffed loudly, shaking her head. "Don't you like fancy Parties? Women? Champagne? Fast cars? And how bout this. Your name on a business card."

"Shelby brothers Limited." Arthur read out. "Arthur Shelby, associate bookmaker."

"Shite name." Lillian commented from where she was leaning against the wall.

"Shut up Lil." Tommy replied.

"You shut up." She said childishly before muttering. "You, cunt."

"What was that?"

"Oh nothing, just expressing my love for you." She said with a sweet smile and a tilt of her head.

"You're one of three shareholders." Tommy told Arthur, going back to the subject at hand. "Me, you, John and according to the law we are equal partners and it is written on the paperwork in black and white. A third, a third, a third."

"That's statistically impossible to have three thirds of 100." Lillian piped up and the two turned to her.

"Can you ever keep quiet?" Tommy asked, Lillian smirked putting her empty glass down.

"You weren't telling me that last night, you quiet enjoyed my voice if I remember." She said before she imitated Tommy shagging her from behind with a fake moan.

"I hate you." He muttered as his cheeks flushed red for the first time in years, he had never been in this situation before and Arthur noticed, letting out a laugh.