Chapter 7 - Great Observation Skills

Dancing is like dreaming with your feet. - Unknown

It was exactly nine o'clock when Tommy arrived outside the Garrison which she was surprised about, she thought Tommy would have kept her waiting for a couple more minutes

It was exactly nine o'clock when Tommy arrived outside the Garrison which she was surprised about, she thought Tommy would have kept her waiting for a couple more minutes. She picked up her dress as she opened the car door and got into the front. She smiled shyly at Tommy as he stared her up and down.

"Is it just the two of us going to the races?" She asked, and he cleared his throat, turning his attention to in front of him as he started the car.

"Something like that." He replied vaguely, and Lillian rolled her eyes.

"Arthur's and the boys are going, aren't they?"

"Yep." He said, seeing no point in lying when she already knew.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure we're allowed in here?" Lillian asked, as they made there way through the back entrance of the races, Tommy's hand was placed on her back, guiding her through the crowd of people in the way.

"Well, I prefer to come to the races the back way. It keeps me out of trouble." He said, and she snorted.

"That's a first." She said with a playful smile and he shacked his head.

"Tracks are lawless places. I can't stand petty criminals. This way." He said.

"I'm glad you've got some moral high ground Tommy." She said as she heard cheers from above them. "Will we get to lay a bet?"

"No - gambling is for mugs." He replied. "This way, you're lucky you're with me or you'd be wasting your money on fixed races."

"I always wondered, how do you fix a race?" She asked curiously, she could never get her head around the idea of gambling.

"How should I know?" he replied, and Lillian sighed. "OK, you do the talking."

"What?" Her head snapped to him in shock.

"Tell security you are Lady Sarah Duggan Excuse us, excuse us. Lady Sarah Duggan of Connemara. You got lost when you went to look for the boy riding your horse - Dandy Flower. If they ask about me, say I'm Prussian and don't speak a word of English." He explained, and she laughed

"So, the great Tommy Shelby can't even get into the races with out the help of a woman." She teased, and he gave her a playful glare.

"Come on, posh girl. Earn your three quid." He said, and they went up to the man, Lillian easily lying her way in without hesitation as they walked to the balcony, looking down at all the dancing, the singing and the chatter from everyone. Tommy, unsurprisingly, had a newly lit cigarette in his hand as he looked around the room.

"I still prefer the Garrison." He commented after a while and Lillian nodded in agreement, it was too posh for her liking. "Do you dance?" he said after a moment of thought, turning his head to look at her as she shrugged.