Chapter 16 - We were having a moment

Some people just need a high-five, in the face, with a chair. - unknown

"Curly, you left the gate open?" Charlie asked as they looked at the gate wide open

"No, I locked it. I pinched myself when I did it." Curly replied.

"Lillian did you close it?" Charlie quickly asked, and Lillian nodded.

"Yeah of course I did."

"Get this stuff under cover. Hey! Who goes there?" Charlie asked as the figure walked closer and Lillian rolled her eyes when she saw who it was.

"Thomas?" She announced, and he looked worse for wear. She had heard what had happened to him by Arthur and she couldn't help but be worried about him. She couldn't help it, she always cared about everyone's wellbeing over her own and Thomas got the worse from it from Sabini. Always looking for trouble.

"Curly, get that oil you put on the legs when they go lame." Thomas ordered Curly to do as he kept walking with an arm over his chest, she couldn't believe he was here right now, he couldn't even stand straight.

"Are you fucking mad, Doyle?" Charlie said but he was ignored.

"The yellow stuff. Go on." He said to Curly and he ran off.

"They said you'd be in for another three weeks." Charlie said as he brought over a chair for Thomas to sit on.

"I need to get on a boat to London. Tonight." He said, changing the subject immediately and Charlie rolled his eyes.

"You discharged yourself?" he asked, not surprised at all by his actions.

"I'm a fucking sitting duck in there, Charlie. Sabini could send a man at any time. I need to get some things done." He explained, and Lillian squinted her head to the side, watching his conditions as he could barely keep himself up and he looked ready to pass out at any moment. Lillian slowly walked over to him, putting her hand on the side of his face gently and he flinched at the touch, not expecting it and she sighed.

"You're burning up." She muttered worriedly, and Thomas opened his eyes to look at her, an unreadable emotion flashed through his eyes before they were directed to Curly's appearance with a bottle in his hand.

"Oh, Tommy! That stuff's for rubbing into fucking horses." Charlie said, and Thomas laughed.

"Ha! I am a horse."

"If you were a horse, they'd shoot you with this many broken bones." Charlie replied.

"Get the black powder, Curly. Go. The black powder." Thomas ordered Curly again and he ran off.

"You pay for a bloody hospital and you're using witchcraft?" Charlie asked in disbelief.

"I need to sleep in the open air and feel the boat under me, Charlie."