Still Don't Understand✔️

"How did it go?" I asked Luke as he collapsed on the couch. The look in his eyes telling me exactly how it went.

"His scent disappeared in the room completely. We picked up his scent by accident in the parking lot but from there on..." He let it hang in the air. He knew I could put the answers together.

"Now what?" I asked, mostly to myself. Luke opened his eyes with a lot of difficulty.

"Obviously we look for Caitlyn."

I cursed. "Why is everybody obsessed with her? It's not like she's important."

But Luke just looked at me. "She is important. She's the Queen of the Underworld, Co-leader of The Remnants, Jake's best friend and one of my saviors. Her and Death helped make me see what was going on in the Hydras and saved my life more times than I can count. She's been with us for three years, Bae, obviously she's important to us."

I could tell he was getting angry. I didn't think about that, that she would have a part in The Remnants nor her involvement in this place. She clearly had a lot of power since, you know, because she hosts Persephone. Just the queen of the Underworld. I barely know anything about Luke's past but I know Death plays a huge part. I'm such an idiot. Of course she played a role in it.

"I'm sorry but how am I supposed to know all of that if no one would tell me anything about her except that she's with Jake and she hosts Persephone. Maybe if you told me about your past." I started.

"You know my past is off limits. I promised that I would tell you when I'm ready, and I'm not. So for your sake and life, I suggest you don't go spewing your opinions of Caitlyn. Because I promise you this, if someone hears you talking like that they might not be as calm as me." He ended. If this was calm, I wouldn't want to see angry.

"I just don't understand why you can't just trust me or trust me enough to tell me." I looked at him and he was staring right back. His gaze softened a bit, and he turned away. I found those eyes so captivating it was hard not to look into them but right now his gaze looked familiar.

"You don't know pain like me. Your pain was created by an action and penetrated the heart, but it is figurative. Many say that emotional pain is the worst but for me it's exactly the same as physical. I have been through hell more hell than most. I've been hurt physically and emotionally more than others and all from one night. But that one night is countless, pointless, harmless compared to his and hers. Death went through so, so, so much more and he had no one. Until you have felt even the slightest pain, you'll never understand. " I gaped at him and just stared in disbelief. That was...deep.

Suddenly a commotion erupted in the courtyard and I didn't have to move towards it since it seemed to be coming my way. Normally I would complain about that fact, but I was still speechless. It was Bradlin and Toni who were shouting bits and pieces of Persephone, dreams, location, farms and old ladies. Luke sat up and watched the two stop before us, breathless.

"What's up guys?" He asked them simply, but Bradlin held up a finger asking for a minute to catch her breath. Once she could, she began.

"We found a way to find Caitlyn."

"And guess what? It involves farms." Toni added. I stared blankly at the two, waiting for an answer.

"Well come on then." I said, growing inpatient.

"Persephone is the goddess of springtime." Bradlin announced proudly. I repeated my action as before, but it seemed Luke got whatever she was saying.

"Why didn't I think of that?" He asked himself, but I still didn't get.

"Um, can someone explain what's going on?" I basically begged.

"Okay, check this." Toni snapped her fingers and pointed to an invisible diagram. "Before Persephone became the queen of the Underworld, she had been the goddess of springtime. Hades had to kidnap her to convince her to marry her and took her to the Underworld. She was against the idea until she wondered into a garden and ate a piece of pomegranate."

Toni sounded so enthusiastic but I still didn't understand what she was saying. Apparently this was a history lesson between Hades and Persephone. But by all three of them staring at me I crumbled under pressure.

"I'm not connecting the dots so go on." I mumbled in annoyance.

Luke looked at me and motioned for Bradlin to go on.

"Persephone's mother, Demeter, went berserk. She wanted Zeus to bring their child back from the Underworld so Zeus sent Hermes to fetch her. The only thing is, Hermes was too late since Persephone had already eaten a piece of the pomegranate. And do you know what happens when you eat food from the Underworld?" Bradlin asked, but I shook my head, feeling liking an idiot. "It means that you're not allowed to leave. Hermes returned and told them the news. Demeter was furious, and Zeus couldn't do anything about it. But a moment of genius allowed Persephone to leave because she only ate a piece of the pomegranate. So she had to stay in the Underworld a third of the year and the rest she could stay with her mother. "

"Wow, I thought my life was complicated, but I still don't see what's going on here." I told them again.

How many times must I say it for them to actually make me understand?

"It means if Persephone is missing, then the one person who would have already found her is..." Luke egged on and I finally understood.

"Demeter, her loving mother."

Oh, boy.