Chapter One

Dragon: Princess Lightningtail of the SwiftScales

- ❈ -

PLEASE, BEFORE YOU READ: a quick disclaimer

When I wrote this book four years ago, I had little idea of what I was doing. I had simply created a fantribe with my friend and wanted to write a story about them. Well, I created this, but it has become so much more.

Now, four years later, I come back to see comments and feel the of reading pain of my old writing. I'm still learning a lot but I have grown a lot since this chapter was published. For a long time I figured I would rewrite this book... and I would love to, but it would keep me from moving onto new things I want to try. Maybe I will someday, but I like the idea of this being evidence of my growth. I wish I could give you a start to my writing career without any flaws, but this book has many and I hope you don't mind them. 

Enjoy, and thank you with all my heart for giving this series, The Five Dragons, a try.

<3

- ❈ -

Grape, I still haven't forgotten how that one time (after I changed the cover for the original) you said "I read your book." Thank you for saying that, it meant a lot.

- ❈ -

Part One – A Flash of Lightning...

Three days later...

High in the clear blue sky, a dragon flew. She had light gray scales with softer underscales, darker scutes and long gray wings. When she opened her spine ridges to bank, the skin inside shimmered gold along her tail.

     Lightningtail breathed in deeply and flapped her wings gently. She was assigned to go on the noonday hunt soon with her brother, Thunderclap. While she was waiting for the dragons to gather, she decided to go flying.

     As Lightningtail rose higher in the sky, gliding under the arch of a hollowed-out sea stack, she angled her tail to turn around and take in the scenery. Her tribe, the SwiftScales, lived on a continent far, far, away from their original home.

     Ventus was a beautiful place. Its coast rarely had any beaches, however, that was alright because spires of rock stuck out of the water like dragon's teeth - they made for hours of entertainment. A dense pine forest grew on the mainland, and, if Lightningtail flew above the clouds, she could see a faint blue mountain range on the talon-shaped peninsula on the southeast horizon. The climate all year round was quite chilly, offset by glaciers in the mountains and far south.

     Lightningtail looked northwest in the direction where Pyrrhia lay.

     Why did she know about Pyrrhia? Well, in history class, Lightningtail and the other seven-year-olds learned their colony's history: around five thousand years ago Lightningtail's ancestors, named SwiftWings, once lived on Pyrrhia; more specifically along a river that lay south of the East Mountains. One particular spring, the dragons living in the mountain territory above them flew down and drove them out. The teachers said they wanted more land for their new "Sky Kingdom".

     The SwiftWings fled from these SkyWings and were led by a brave young dragoness called Silversmoke. She led the tribe east, where, after several days, they eventually made it to this continent: Ventus. The SwiftWings renamed themselves 'Scales' because they didn't want to be tied to their old enemies and their old home.