Epilogue

Thanks to @Ender2639 for the outline of the epilogue, the storyline of the next book, and this message:

Quick note, please read "Dragon of Storms" for deeper information on the tribe. Plus, it may help with timeline stuff. Cause this is the sequel.

- ❈ -

"You slimy glob of seagull splat!" cried a dragon. He lashed his tail, storming around the cave in a rage.

     "Hey, it didn't turn out that bad-" said a second voice, high and defensive with fear. The smaller dragon, called Risingwind, shrunk in fear from Windwhipper, the first.

     "That bad? You said that SeaWings were violent and ferocious! You said they were worse than SkyWings, that they would finally get me what I want!" Windwhipper roared.

     Risingwind flinched at Windwhpper's tone.

     Windwhipper continued: "Didn't the SeaWings do what you instructed them to when you directed their patrols closer to Ventus?"

     Risingwind threw up his talons in defence. "They did! But soon they weren't able to come closer. It happened before Queen Swansong went to meet the SeaWings. I went on a patrol with a few SeaWings to help them plan out an attack but once we got a few hours away from Ventus they just up and left. It made no sense."

     "Maybe they're just not as enduring as we are." Windwhipper mused to himself. "Maybe we need another tribe – a stronger one."

     "Like who? I can barely get to the tribes located on the southeast side of Pyrrhia, much less further west," Risingwind said. He scuttled away from Windwhipper when he practically roared:

     "Then we get one who is on the northeast side!"

- ❈ -

Risingwind stirred his wings nervously. His gray scales would help him to hide against the mountains, but if a SkyWing patrol caught him he would be done for.

     He flew in the shadows of looming spires of rock, a ghost in the foreign land. He never liked visiting Pyrrhia. The wind never blew the same as it did back home.

     Risingwind scanned the mountaintops for torchlight. According to Windwhipper, the SkyWing palace was near a waterfall. Speaking of Windwhipper, Risingwind knew he was definitely terrified of him. Father always punished him if he came back from a mission unsuccessful, and boy, did he have to succeed this time.

     Windwhipper had instructed him to infiltrate the SkyWing Palace and find the hatchery. Once there, steal an egg and bring it back to him. Preferably, don't die. Seemed simple enough. Risingwind had already been here before, to steal dragonflame cactuses from the merchants and surrounding mountains. That was back when Windwhipper had smaller ideas.

     But Risingwind's hopes were dashed as soon as he set wing into the Sky Kingdom. His sharp eyesight had detected smoke from a mountain near the sea, and when he went to investigate it he heard dragon voices inside. Guard watch posts like the first one he found were scattered all around the Kingdom. Risingwind had to zigzag from shadow to shadow in fear of being seen.

     This was how he eventually found himself staring at a large building on the side of a mountain. Well, less like a building and more like a palace. There were spires arching into the sky regally and a huge amphitheatre was nestled between the valleys next to the palace. Hundreds of stone columns towered into the sky and all of them were connected by webs of metal wires.