Chapter Nine

- ❈ -

Lightningtail spread her rudder-wings and banked widely. She and Rainwind were flying above the bay. The boys were all out on a hunting trip led by their aunt Falconeye. Rainwind and Lightningtail were waiting for their friends to come back so that they could explore the forest.

     It was a half a moon since Lightningtail's wing healed, and warm summer winds were dwindling. Tomorrow would be the day of the Salmon Run, and Lightningtail was excited to go with Eagletalon. The Salmon Run was when salmon swam up Serpent's River. A single team of SwiftScales would catch a net full of the fish, but only one net so that enough salmon could reach their spawning grounds. Lightningtail sometimes wondered where they went, but always decided against following them because the forest was too cramped for a SwiftScale to walk in.

     "Lightningtail, do you want to try balancing on the Fang?" Rainwind asked while practicing a barrel roll.

     Lightningtail sighed. "I know I can do it. Face it, cousin, we're going to die of boredom out here." Rainwind mumbled something in protest but a chilly updraft whipped her words away.

     Lightningtail flew over to the Fang anyway and sat on top of it. She tucked her wings in and waved her tail in order to stay standing. Rainwind clapped from above.

     "Bravo! Now let me try!" Lightningtail gladly hopped off, and Rainwind replaced her. She wobbled but stayed upright. Lightningtail landed on the side of the Fang and clung to it like a squirrel on a tree.

     Rainwind giggled at her. "You look silly!"

     Lightningtail huffed in annoyance. "I can't help it! There's nothing to do out here, and it's starting to get to me!"

     Rainwind smirked wickedly. "I bet if Quickclaws were here, you wouldn't be bored..."

     Lightningtail gasped in mock shock. "What! Why would you say that? I'm courting Eagletalon! I can't be looking at other dragons anymore!"

     "But you are!" Rainwind countered. She climbed down to look Lightningtail in the eye. "I've seen the way you look at him. Just because I'm a year younger than you doesn't mean I can't notice things. You look at him like he were your mate already."

     Lightningtail had to look away because Rainwind's words made her blush. "But he isn't my mate," Lightningtail reasoned, "and he won't be."

     Rainwind sighed and climbed back on top of the point. "Never say never."

     "But I didn't!"

     "Good."

     Lightningtail frowned. Rainwind was acting really weird. I thought Rainwind liked Eagletalon. Maybe she sees something in him that I don't.

     Lightningtail shook her head to clear her confusion. "I'm going to catch something," She told Rainwind and launched herself into the chilly air.

     There was little wind today, just big, fleecy, clouds. There had been a lot of late-summer storms recently and this was one of Ventus' good days. Well, if 'good days' meant lots of sun yet icy air, then yes, today was a good day.

     Lightningtail prepared herself to dive for a fish. In a few more hours, Eagletalon would be back and all would be well. Lightningtail and Rainwind spent the morning circling above the dark water below them.

     Around noon – just when Lightningtail was about to give up and go explore on her own with Rainwind – a high pitched roar sounded in the distance.