Chapter Five

I thank you, mist, for following me (and apparently liking this book), though I have no idea why :3

- ❈ -

Lightningtail waited anxiously at the cave entrance. She was waiting for Eagletalon to emerge from his home along with Thunderclap and Rainwind.

     Eagletalon lived in one of the many 'apartment' caves in the estuary. It had been five days since her discovery of the Other dragons and three days since meeting Brisktail.

     Lightningtail really liked Quickclaws and Brisktail because they were funny and kind. They didn't gloat about their knowledge of fighting skills, and sometimes even showed her some of their moves. Since meeting them, their group had had loads of fun fishing in the bay and exploring the woods.

     Finally, a cloud-coloured dragonet pushed through the feather curtain before the three Royals, interrupting Lightningtail's thoughts. "Sorry to keep you waiting," Eagletalon panted, "What are we doing today?"

     Lightningtail gestured to Rainwind. "Rain wanted to explore the east shore. I thought it was a good idea, and Thunderclap wanted to come along as well. Do you want to join us?"

     Eagletalon perked up at the idea and nodded eagerly. "Let's go then!"

     Lightningtail and the small group loped down the halls of the cave passing many other homes along the way. When they reached the outside, they were met with a salty wind blowing from the north.

     Rainwind eagerly took the lead and headed northeast, passing Serpent's River and the Fang quickly.

     Lightningtail observed the landscape below. The coastline was rugged and wild, covered by sparse patches of wind-blown grass. The waves crashed to the shore loudly, sending spray flying and tossing the air. On small islands in the estuary near the cliffs, colonies of great auks and other seabirds nested.

     As Lightningtail and the group flew along the coast, the calls of seabirds from the distance became louder and louder. Lightningtail caught a glimpse of the creatures from a distance and called her friends to land.

     "Are you guy's hungry?" Lightningtail asked, and they nodded. Lightningtail started walking along the edge of the cliffs. "Then we could try to catch a few birds. Let's continue on talon so we don't startle them."

     Eagletalon nodded and padded closely after her. "Is Quickclaws coming?" He asked, and Lightningtail thought she detected a snarl in his voice.

     Lightningtail frowned and tried to keep her voice low as she answered, so as to not alert Thunderclap and Rainwind. "Listen. I heard what you said yesterday, and now you're saying this. Do you really not like him that much? You just met him!"

     Eagletalon snorted behind her. "So what if I don't?"

     Lightningtail sighed quietly. "Why?"

     "Because... I... I like you, and I feel like he's going to steal you from me."

     Lightningtail stopped in her tracks and turned to look at him. She motioned for Thunderclap and Rainwind to continue and spoke only after they passed.

     Eagletalon's head was hanging low, but his eyes met Lightningtail's shyly.

     "Eagletalon. I've only known Quickclaws for a few days. I've known you for much longer. I-I... you don't need to worry about him 'stealing me' because... because I like you too." Lightningtail admitted.

     Her friend's head lifted sharply and he stared her in the eye, smiling. Eagletalon leaned forward and placed his talon on her shoulder.

     "Really?" He asked, looking elated.