Chapter Twenty-one

- ❈ -

Day thirty-three

Lightningtail was dragged out onto the pathway. Whale and another SeaWing snarled and kicked at her as they led her away to the pavilion for the millionth time. Well, not the millionth time but it was all blurring to Lightningtail. Thirty-three days without wind on her scales seemed to do that to her.

     As they walked away, the clanking of the waterfall didn't sound. Lightningtail turned her head to see what was happening.

     The other SeaWing, a dark, dark, blue that was almost black, was shoving Quickclaws behind Lightningtail. Lightningtail exchanged looks of horror with him.

     What are they going to do to us? She thought in a panic.

     They soon found out. Instead of taking the dragonets to the pavilion where the interrogations were usually held, the guards took the two SwiftScale dragonets to a cave in the side of the cliffs. It was really close to the water and the floor was lined with sand, an odd feature as the other caves seemingly only had bare rock floors. In the dim light, Lightningtail could make out old, rusty chains hanging from the wall in the back.

     Whale grabbed Quickclaws by the arm. He grunted as the guard clipped the old chains on him, and the other SeaWing added newer chains to the mix to make Quickclaws immobile.

     Now, Lightningtail was really scared. Why are they putting him in chains? Why are we here? What are they going to do?

     Her questions were soon answered. Lightningtail watched in horror as Queen Jellyfish and Prince Seaweed waltzed into the cave with equally deranged expressions on their faces.

     "Hello, dragonets," crooned the SeaWing leader. Her talons twitched ominously. Whale and the other SeaWing backed away and Lightningtail was left alone to cower at Quickclaws' side.

     The SeaWing prince saw the two dragonets huddling together. "You will move away from each other," he hissed with a voice as thick as tar.

     Lightningtail screamed in horror as her talons moved of their own accord. She walked away from Quickclaws and he yowled in surprise as he leaned away from her. The dragonets, now on the opposite sides of the cave stared at the animus prince in terror.

     Queen Jellyfish laughed at them mockingly. "Well, if it was that easy to force you we don't even need to ask you questions. Seaweed and I will just enchant you to spill all your juicy secrets..."

     The queen feinted at Lightningtail and the dragonet scuttled back until her lower half was pressed up against the rock in an unflattering manner. Whale and the other guard laughed at this.

     Lightningtail was nervous for three reasons; one, because of the powers of the queen and prince before her; two, because Quickclaws was in chains; and three, because Current was not here. The female SeaWing had been thrown off their case once the Queen discovered she was sympathizing with them, giving them more fish, and sometimes talking to them or protecting them at interrogations. Lightningtail wished the gray-green SeaWing was here right now desperately.

     "Let's have fun, shall we?" Jellyfish laughed manically. She crawled over to Quickclaws, belly to the sand like a crocodile as if it was going to scare him.

     Well, it was scaring Quickclaws, but the faithful apprentice never showed it. He snarled at her and hissed flames in her face. Whale clocked him with his tail.

     The queen giggled. "Don't think you can stop me, dragonet." She raised her claws and slashed them against Quickclaws' face.

- ❈ -