Chapter Twelve

Check out GenericUsername1516 , she has a great story called "The Woods"!

- ❈ -

Part Two – Flames of War

Lightningtail stared dumbfounded at her parents as they sped off. Speedscar lifted off as well, following the king and queen. Quickclaws, who was at the time being escorted away by his mentor took the opportunity and scurried over to Lightningtail.

     "Quick! Take Thunderclap and Brisktail and let's meet at your cave." He said, leaving no time to argue.

     Lightningtail nodded and barked sharply at her brother. Thunderclap pulled at Brisktail beside him and they both followed Lightningtail on a hidden course to her cave.

     The three friends flew under the walking platform built into the side of the cliff walls so that no dragon from the negotiation patrol could see them slip away.

     Quickclaws was ahead of them, flapping his wings in quick strokes. They travelled like this until Lightningtail and Thunderclap veered up, clearing the cliff and stopping at the landing ledge. Lightningtail, followed by her friends, all filed into the underground home.

     "So, why'd you bring us here?" Asked Brisktail. He had never been inside the cave where the Royal Family lived, and he gazed around in slight awe.

     Quickclaws sat down and tucked his talons under his chest – almost like those big cats – cougars – that stalked the forest.

     "I had an idea," he said, "but we'd need Rainwind for it. Since she goes out to explore Ventus so much with her dad I say we get her to lead us to the scavenger settlements."

     Thunderclap blinked. "Whatever for? They're too small to eat, you know that. Besides, remember the Alliance?"

     The Alliance was a mysterious, unspoken agreement between the two species. The SwiftScales offered protection and left the scavengers alone, so long as they didn't raid the colony's (almost non-existent) treasury or steal any eggs. In return, the scavengers left an offering of either herbs or food on a peninsula once a moon called Fallen Star Point.

     Lightningtail had no idea how her ancestors managed to achieve this, least of all how they got the scavengers to understand them. SwiftScales didn't go there anymore but they flew over the scavenger's islands and checked upon them every now and then.

     "That's just it. We go to the scavengers and watch them for a while. We study them and see if there's anything we can learn from them to fight this... whatever the situation between us and the SeaWings is." Quickclaws replied, looking across to Lightningtail.

     "Lightning, do you know where Rainwind could be?" He asked her.

     "Wait now?" Asked Brisktail. "We just got back from that battle! Wouldn't Queen Swansong and King Rapidwings just get into a crazier frenzy if they discovered... five missing dragonets, three of which are royals, two are their own kids and one of those is the heir to the Throne?"

     Lightningtail blushed. The way he said it, it sounded like she was pretty important.

     "Yes," sighed Quickclaws, "We need to go now."

     Lightningtail nodded. "Brisktail, it would be less conspicuous if you went to find Rainwind since you're not in trouble for anything or... you know, me."

     Brisktail nodded and stood up, moving to leave but stopping. "Um... where is it that she lives?" He asked. Lightningtail giggled.

     "Go towards the Council Chamber, when you reach it go further and pass three openings on your right. She should be at home, in the fourth door on your right," Thunderclap explained.