Chapter Seven

- ❈ -

The sun beat down on Lightningtail's scales, baking her in her own body. She flew through the stifling heat, over the blue ocean.

     Well, almost blue, as it was stained red with the blood of dragons.

     Lightningtail spread her rudder- wings and banked port to avoid a pair of grappling blue and gray dragons. She looked behind her, wishing she could help. However, she couldn't, as she needed to go somewhere.

     But where, was the place she needed to go?

     Lightningtail sped up, rising above the battle on warm air currents and circling.

     Her tribe was losing, that was evident. The SwiftScales were terribly outnumbered and Lightningtail watched helplessly as one of her tribe was overpowered and fell to the sea. Many bodies fell: gray, green, and blue alike, never to be seen again.

      A huge and sparkly blue dragon approached in the distance. The newcomer was leading a fresh fleet of soldiers, heading straight for the battle.

     Lightningtail looked behind her and recognized Mother leading more SwiftScales clad in light armour into the fight.

     No matter what, Lightningtail's tribe would still lose.

     Lightningtail gathered herself into a dive, preparing to stop the two Queens. Just as Lightningtail angled down, a seaweed-green dragon slammed into her.

     Lightningtail tried to fight, but she couldn't. Her talons weighed like lead, unable to move. Lightningtail wanted to scream, to bite back, anything! But she was unable to.

     "Help us!" Screamed the soldiers flying around her.

     I can't! Lightningtail thought in despair.

     The Other dragon smiled wickedly, twisting his claws further.

     "Save us!" The dying dragons called again.

     I don't know how! Lightningtail screamed, but she didn't say a word. The green dragon slashed Lightningtail's neck and her body fell.

     "Lightningtail!"

     Down, down, down she fell. Down into the dark red sea.

- ❈ -

"Lightningtail!"

     Lightningtail blinked open her eyes. Her body was trembling, her throat dry and neck sore. Thunderclap was standing over her, amber eyes clouded with worry.

     "Lightningtail, are you alright?" he asked again.

     The sun beamed down brightly from the sky hole. It was late morning, meaning Lightningtail had slept through dawn – an unlikely occurrence for her.

     "I'm fine. It was nothing." Lightningtail lied.

     But it was. Lightningtail couldn't remember anything, only that she had had a dream scary enough for her twin to be worried. Lightningtail shook her head to clear her thoughts. She and Thunderclap were due for a hunting patrol soon.

     Thunderclap helped Lightningtail up and they made their way to the Hunting Center, gliding on swift breezes above the calm estuary. Before long, the Hunting Thunder had gathered and the dragons were off.