01. frisson

❈ ❈ ❈ ❈ ❈

frisson - (n) a shiver of pleasure.

✽ ✽ ✽

Zander took a small sip from the glass of white wine. His eyes glanced over to where his wife was talking with a few friends. At least she was having a good time.

Because he certainly wasn't.

The Christmas-themed house party was stupid. It was a waste of time and he hadn't even have been interested in going.

Especially when Natalie Snyder was the one who was hosting.

He knew it was just a clever tactic from her side - to gain a sort of friendship, or well alliance, with the other lawyers.

Since the three months she'd joined the law firm, things couldn't have gotten any worse for him. She easily out-witted him. She handled the cases with far more ease and sophistication than he could.

Spencer had already hinted that she was making her name onto the list as a contender as a partner.

A position that Zander really wanted. And deserved. The position that he'd worked his ass off for. The position he'd spent the last year vying for.

And it was no doubt that he already took a strong disliking towards her.

"Leave it to Zander Melton to be sulking at a Christmas party."

He swirled the wine in the glass, taking a light sip before looking up.

"Why wouldn't I be? Especially when you're the one who's hosting." He smirked lightly before he looked around for his wife again.

The last thing he wanted was a conversation with Natalie.

"I'm surprised you even came."

He let out a dry laugh at the uncertainty in her voice. She was looking for his approval.

"It's a work party, Natalie. My wife likes coming to these things." He nodded as he made eye contact with Misha, motioning for her to come over.

"I didn't know you were married." Natalie smiled, apprehensively. Zander Melton was good looking, no doubt. But he was just a co-worker, an acquaintance and apparently, married.

She'd noticed him the first few days at the law firm. He made her a little uncomfortable but then so did all the other lawyers. They were all far more experienced than she was and held an aura of power around them.

She was lucky she'd even got the job at the law firm in Santa Clara. Highly competitive but in three months, she'd already made herself a name at the small firm.

Yet, Zander still intimidated her, just a little.

I am." Zander shrugged, carelessly before he placed his glass on the counter. "But I highly doubt my married life affects your skills as a lawyer."

He eyed the woman in front of him, taking in her appearance. She'd let down her straight blonde hair, letting it flow freely unlike the bun she always wore to work. Her velvet silver dress accented her eyes, making her light blue eyes shine like snowflakes. The dress was far more daring than the modest outfits she wore to work, especially with the deep v neck.

He quickly looked away as Misha wrapped her arms around him.

He was a married man and Natalie was just another competitor for the same position that he wanted. There was nothing beautiful about her, nothing more to her.

"Natalie, this is my wife, Misha Melton. Misha, Natalie, she's the new lawyer." He pointed between them before turning to Misha. "Should we go?"

He waited until Misha nodded, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his pants.

"It was nice to meet you." Misha nodded at Natalie, smiling before turning back to Zander. She gave Zander a quick kiss on the cheek before mumbling something about getting her jacket.

Zander ran a hand through his hair, his eyes still following his wife's ass as she made her way upstairs to get her jacket from the guest room. No one could ever compare to Misha. And no one ever would be able to.

"So that's your wife, huh?"

Zander looked back at Natalie. He raised an eyebrow as she placed a hand on his arm. "Yes, that's my wife."

He gave her a confused look as she shook her head. A sly smile playing on her lips and a hint of confidence surrounding her for the first time that night. "I see."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He looked back to the stairs, waiting for Misha.

"You're Zander Melton, one of the youngest yet most successful lawyers in this area. I mean. I don't know. I just expected someone a little more posh, just a little something more."

❈ ❈❈❈❈

01.20.2018

3:52 PM