12. yonderly

❈ ❈ ❈ ❈ ❈

yonderly - mentally or emotionally distant; absent-minded

✽ ✽ ✽

Misha smiled, softly as Zander leaned in and kissed her, brushing his lips against hers. A light feathery kiss.

"What's for dinner?" He pulled away as Misha turned and opened the fridge door, reaching for two frozen containers.

"I figured we could just finish whatever leftovers are still in the fridge."

"Yea, that's fine." He tossed his phone aside, putting it on silent. Another string of unread text messages from Natalie. All of which he had ignored.

Zander grabbed a glass, pouring himself a glass of whiskey.

"How was work?" Misha asked as she placed the two containers in the microwave, setting the timer on for five minutes.

Zander froze, the glass barely touching his lips as flashes of the day reminded him to grave mistake he'd made.

All he could remember was Natalie's sweet lips against his, her small body pressing against his, her arms wrapped around his neck and legs wrapped around his torso.

He glanced at Misha, wondering if she could sense his guilt.

It didn't matter. She didn't know. And he wasn't going to make that mistake again.

It'd ruin her, it'd ruin Misha. And it'd break their marriage.

He couldn't let that happen. And he wouldn't.

What she didn't know, wouldn't hurt her. And as long as he didn't let the same mistake happen again, it wouldn't matter.

"Zander?" Misha glanced at him, wondering what he was thinking about.

"Nothing." Zander swallowed, nervously, trying to hide the guilt. Trying to forget about what he'd done.

"Did something happen at work?" Misha asked again. He seemed a little distant, just a little out of it.

She let out a small laugh as Zander pulled her against him, his front against her back. Wrapping his arms around her small body, he placed a soft kiss against her cheek.

"Work was fine." He murmured. This time, he twirled her around, placing another kiss against her lips instead. "Same as always."

"Oh." Misha squealed, pushing Zander away as his trailed down her body, playing with the waistband of her cotton shorts.

"Dinner!" She almost exclaimed, knowing exactly what would happen if she let him kiss her, touch her any longer.

Reluctantly, Zander pulled away.

The guilt that had irked him earlier had faded. He'd make it up her. And he'd never hurt her again. That was all that mattered.

"How was work?" This time he asked her.

Misha shrugged as she took out placed a plate in front of Zander and then sat down next to him.

"The same." She paused, a bit awkwardly. "I finally made a friend today. His name is Nathan and he's new here."

"New friend?" Zander repeated, chuckling. "You make it sound like a huge accomplishment.

Misha playfully swatted his hand away, glaring at him. "It is! You know how everyone at work avoids me because they're scared of my mom."

"Because the woman yells at everyone and everything." He retorted, shrugging as Misha narrowed her eyes at him. "I can't even remember the last time I saw her smile, to be honest."

"Anyways, I was thinking we could show him around town on Saturday." She looked at Zander expectantly. He was usually home Saturdays and Sundays, only with a few occasional work dinners, parties, and events.

It was her schedule, rather, that was different every week.

"Misha, I can't. I have a work dinner." Zander watched as the smile on her face faded and disappointment clouded her instead.

"Work dinner? You didn't tell me that. That's why I said yes to him." Misha pouted, hoping he'd cancel the dinner.

"It's for the case I'm working on. You know the hearing is coming up soon." Zander stuffed a spoonful of pasta into his mouth before pushing the plate aside. "Once the case is over, we can go on vacation instead."

"Fine. I'll show him around, all by myself." She tried annoying him a bit to see if he'd agree. When he didn't say anything further, she asked about the dinner. "Are you just meeting with the two clients?"

Zander paused again. He looked down at his food, avoiding Misha's gaze. Because the guilt from earlier, poked at him again.

"No. Natalie is going to be there too."

"Natalie?" Misha repeated, trying to remember who that was. "Oh, the new girl?"

She could remember Zander had complained about her a few times before. Something about how he couldn't stand her and how she was always taking the cases he wanted.

"Yea. Remember we went to her house for a Christmas party a few weeks ago." He tried to hide the slight waver, waver of guilt, that highlighted his voice.

"Is she still annoying? I remember you said you hated working with her." Misha continued, blabbering, oblivious to the fact the Zander was completely silent.

She looked up, smiling at Zander as he pushed the hair away from her face.

His thumb brushed her lip, his eyes set on her. For a second, she sat frozen, captivated by his gaze, wondering why he was looking at her, like that.

She blinked, suddenly aware that he speaking, whispering.

"Misha, you know I love you, right?" His voice, soft and barely audible.

She nodded, not sure what else to say or why he was even saying that.

"I love you, Misha." Zander grabbed her hand, raising it so he could kiss her knuckles. "I love you so much. And I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"I know." Misha smiled, nodding.

And with everything she had, she believed him.

❈ ❈❈❈❈

January 15, 2019 6:51 PM

❈ ❈❈❈❈

Next chap : 200 votes