24. torpe

❈ ❈ ❈ ❈ ❈

torpe - a man who is desperately in love with a woman but cannot admit his feelings or approach her

✽ ✽ ✽

Misha picked a table in the corner and sat down with her daughter in her lap. It was a bit secluded but she wanted to be far away from the wedding.

As much as she wanted to be happy for her sister, all Misha could think about was her own wedding. The red dress she had worn. And the hall that had been decked with peach flowers. The way Zander had held her, the way he had looked at her. She had been so happy. And everything, it had been absolutely perfect.

But now, her ring finger was bare.

Everything seemed like a lifetime ago. As he'd spun her around, laughing and promising that he'd love her to the end. 

But he hadn't. Things had come to an end long before it had even begun.

"Do you want to dance?"

Misha looked up as Nathan slid into the chair next to her.

She smiled, gratefully but declined. "I don't really like to dance."

"Good. Cause I don't know to dance." Nathan leaned over and pinched Asha's cheek as she looked at him with wide eyes. "Do you think she'll cry if I try holding her again?"

"Then why'd you ask?" Misha asked, laughing as she eyed him curiously.

He shrugged as he made silly faces at Asha who looked at him as though she were on the verge of crying.

"Ehh. I couldn't think of another reason to come over and talk to you." This time, he slanted his eyebrows and pushed out his lower lip to mimic a crying expression as he continued to tease Asha.

"I'm the only person you know at the wedding." She vexed. "I thought Julia was your date?"

Nathan flashed a smile. "Jealous?"

"Huh?" Misha looked at him before reaching over to smack him. "You're so childish."

"Ouch." He mumbled before looking at her seriously. He bit down at his lip as his gaze settled on her. "I don't like Julia. I never did."

Misha just smiled.

"I'm serious." He repeated. "It was just easy with her. You don't know how hard it is for me."

"Hard what?" Misha asked with furrowed eyebrows as though she didn't understand.

"I mean school and residency. Everything has always been about my career. During school and even now, I have never really had time for a proper relationship. It's always been something casual and easy."

"That's so cliché. I met Zander while he was in law school and it was hard too." Misha's voice trailed off. She had mentioned Zander without even thinking about it.

She shook her head trying to brush over it but she knew Nathan couldn't be fooled.

"So you've never had a serious relationship?" She asked, quickly trying to change the subject.

"Not really." Nathan hesitated before continuing. "But that's also because I've never met someone I've wanted to be serious about before."

"Before?" Misha looked at Nathan before looking back down at her daughter as Asha made gurgling noises.

"Yea." Nathan repeated. "But it's different now."

"Different? What did you finally meet a girl you want to be with?" She teased but her smile slowly eased as she met Nathan's dark eyes. 

"Misha?" Nathan mumbled softly before pausing. He leaned forward, towards Misha as she turned and looked at him. Misha jerked back a little as she realized how close he was to her.

She watched as he reached out to her, his hand brushing her hair behind her ear. "You look beautiful. Absolutely stunning." He whispered, almost as though he didn't want her to hear what he was saying.

Her cheeks blushed rosy as she felt traces of his lingering touch. Misha stared at him, wide eyes and mouth agape. His dark eyes were set on hers as his gaze slowly drifted to her lips.

"You..you. What are you doing?"

It was as though time had frozen. Misha tried to ignore her racing heart and the warmth that filled her. She stared at Nathan as she tried to figure out why she felt like this. Only Zander had made her feel like this before.

"I..." Nathan spoke but the words wouldn't leave his tongue. He knew she didn't like him, not in the way he liked her. 

"Ahem." 

Misha pulled back all of a sudden. Shocked as she tried to put some space between her and Nathan. 

Misha turned as she felt someone's presence behind her. Her eyes met Zander's dark gaze. His gray eyes thundering as they darted between Misha and the man sitting next to her.

She didn't know why she felt guilty. She shouldn't feel guilty. But she did.

"Misha." Zander taunted. He merely nodded at Nathan, brushing it off as though the latter didn't matter. 

Zander smirked, reaching for Asha as she babbled in recognition of her father and flung out her arms so he could pick her up. 

"Aren't you going to introduce us, Misha?" Zander jeered, not even bothering to hide the anger in his voice. 

❈ ❈❈❈❈

March 17, 2020 3:49 PM

❈ ❈❈❈❈

next chapter - 407 votes

haha, it's been a while guys :))