16. arcadian

❈ ❈ ❈ ❈ ❈

arcadian - idyllically innocent; simple and untroubled by fear or worry 

✽ ✽ ✽

Misha plopped down on the sofa. She smiled widely down as Zander glanced up at her, his eyebrows drawn together as he concentrated on the file he was annotating.

She placed a hand over her stomach, giggling as Zander tossed the file onto the coffee table.

"This case is so fucking hard." Zander mumbled as he relaxed and briefly closed his eyes. As the trial grew closer, his workload seemed to double. Every little thing had been stressing him out lately.

"At least you're almost done?" Misha asked. "Then you won't have to work long night and take weekend trips for a while right?"

Because for the past few weeks, Zander had been super busy with case – as evident by the early morning and late nights.

"What do you mean?" He pulled Misha onto his lap before burying his face in the crook of her neck. "I always have time for you Misha. You're always first." He mumbled before kissing the nape of her neck.

She pulled away from him, her eyes sparkling before she bit down on her lip shyly.

"I know." She hesitated before standing up. "Wait here, I have to tell you something."

Before he could say anything, she ran up the stairs to their room. Under the bed, she'd hidden a sparkly blue gift bag.

Something she'd wanted to give to Zander for the past few days now.

She took small delicate steps down the stairs. Her pace much slower than how she'd run up the stairs a few minutes ago.

She hid the bag behind her back before sitting down on the sofa.

Zander looked up from his phone, turning his phone off immediately.

"Who was that?" She inquired, curious as to why'd he'd turn his phone off as soon as she'd sat down.

"Nothing." He spoke right away. "Just something from work." He nodded, smiling at her.

"What's that you got?" He narrowed his gaze as he looked at the sparkly gift bag. "It's not our anniversary and it's not my birthday."

He ran a hand through his hair as he thought about why she was giving him a gift. "It's not Christmas? Right? December was months ago." He mumbled, curiously.

He glanced around their living room that was decorated with bright lights and ornaments, leftover decorations from Christmas. Everything Misha loved to do.

Misha playfully rolled her eyes before handing him the bag.

"It's for you." She didn't say anything else. She just watched as he tossed the tissue paper aside, reaching into the bag and pulling out a light stripped yellow onesie.

A light yellow onesie that read I love Daddy.

She smiled softly glancing between the yellow cloth and Zander.

"Do you like it?" She asked nervously. "I thought it was really cute. I saw at Target and I thought it was the perfect way to tell you." Her voice trailed off as she was unsure of what else to say. Instead she watched Zander swallow, his Adam's apple bobbing.

She watched as he nervously smiled before looking at her. But he didn't say a single word. Not a single sound.

"You're pregnant?" His voice sounded doubtful and a bit strained. Zander glanced at Misha, unsure of what else he could possibly say.

"What's wrong?" Misha's smile faded as she looked at Zander.

"Nothing. I'm just shocked. I mean with the case and with everything at work, it's just a lot to take in right now." He repeated. He folded up the onesie and tossed it aside. He wrapped his arms around Misha before leaning in to kiss her forehead. "But this is amazing Misha."

Misha reached for his hand, a shy smile gracing her soft face. She placed his hand on her stomach. Tears clouding her vision as she looked down at their hands entertwined.

"We're having a baby." She breathed out. The excitement was clear in her voice and joy colored her face. Her smile grew wider as Zander pulled her closer to him. Misha glanced at Zander, trying to ignore the nagging feeling that his reaction wasn't what she'd expected. 

"Oh my God Zander, we're going to be parents." She repeated as though she couldn't believe it.

❈ ❈❈❈❈

July 9, 2019 4:47 PM

❈ ❈❈❈❈

next chapter - 450 votes