Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Tami Jolliff Atkins

Check out the picture of reader fav Galileo!

If you love all things Egyptian and Greek, follow me on Wattpad!

_______________________

Kami opened the box.

There, nestled in the package, was a scarab necklace. The scarab was attached to a pretty chain, new and gold with tiny links, and it didn't seem to fit with the antiquity of the pendant. The beetle was about an inch long, fashioned of gold and inlaid with a green stone speckled with red spots. It was almost as if it had been splattered by a paintbrush. The gold was worn and tarnished.

Kami felt a little disappointed as she set down the knife. Her melancholy didn't really make sense. It wasn't as if she had been expecting anything particular. Maybe she had just hoped for something more, personal?

"What is it?" a voice said behind her.

Startled, Kami jumped. It was her mother standing behind the screen door. Kami held up the necklace so her mother could see.

"A scarab," her mother said, stating the obvious. She opened the screen door and stepped outside, the door slamming behind her. She picked up the scarab and examined it closer.

"There's more," her mother said as she handed the package back to Kami.

Sure enough. A note was tucked underneath the necklace, which she opened. It was written in an elegant cursive. She looked at the bottom—her grandmother's signature. She skimmed it. The letter was surprisingly warm and expressed her desire to meet her granddaughter. The necklace had belonged to her father, and now it belonged to her.

There was something else too—a  plane ticket to Egypt. It must have cost a fortune. She wondered if her grandparents were wealthy. She silently handed it to her mother who stared hard at it for a good minute. 

"What do you think?" Kami asked cautiously.

"It's your decision," her mother said abruptly, shoving the ticket back into her hand and going inside. She heard the TV turn on. Her mother was retreating again. 

Kami sighed. Her decision. Technically that's what her mom had said, but she knew it wasn't that simple. It was her decision, but her mother expected her to make the right one. The question was "right" for whom? Her mother? Or her? 

She'd never even flown in a plane before, and the thought of traveling alone across the ocean was overwhelming. She had lived in California her whole life, and had only visited two bordering states, Arizona and Nevada. Her family had vacationed at the Grand Canyon when she was five, and when she was fifteen she had been a bridesmaid at a cousin's wedding in Las Vegas. Both were road trips. 

Besides, what if she got to Egypt and didn't get along with her grandparents? They hadn't accepted her mother, and she saw no reason to believe they would accept her.

There were other motives not to go. She had responsibilities at home, her turtle, and possibly a job.

She also knew her mother would be lonesome without her, when she was present any way. But it wasn't like she'd taken a job yet, and an opportunity like this may not come again. The more she had thought about it, the more she warmed to the idea. It would give her a chance to get away, to ignore the worries that had been weighing her down. Who knows? She might even have a little adventure. Maybe she should go. 

 ___________________

Kami felt nervous butterflies in her stomach the morning of the flight. She slipped out of bed and picked up her father's necklace. It had sat on her dresser ever since her birthday. She didn't really want to wear it. Who wears bugs? But she felt like she should out of respect for her father. Her grandmother might also appreciate it, and she didn't want to start their relationship off on the wrong foot. 

She had spoken with her grandmother on the phone to make arrangements for her trip. Kami had been nervous at first, but something about her grandmother's soothing voice had calmed her. Her voice was heavily accented but still easily understandable. She explained that it had never been her intention to shut Kami out of their lives, but she didn't feel she could reach out to her when her grandfather forbade it. Her grandmother did truly seem excited about meeting her, although she had said something at the end of their conversation that had been bugging her ever since. 

"I am worried for your grandfather. He—well never mind that. It will be good to see you."

Kami wondered what her grandmother had been about to reveal. When she'd pressed her grandmother for more information, she'd been cryptic and abruptly changed the subject.

She pulled her hair to the side and fastened the necklace. The necklace was larger than what she was accustomed to wearing, and it pulled on her neck.

Kami looked into the mirror at her reflection. Her face was expressionless, hiding the inner turmoil that churned inside. She knew her mother wasn't happy with the decision. They had talked about it many times late into the night. Kami had stood her ground. She was curious to meet her family, at least her grandmother anyway. Just as important to her, she wanted to see Egypt. She wanted to explore the pyramids, gaze at the artifacts and mummies, and see the Nile with her own eyes. 

Her mother had spoken to her grandmother on the phone, and after that lengthy conversation, she had finally given her consent. Her mother still wasn't thrilled, but at least the feeling of deep disapproval had lifted. She seemed to have come to terms with Kami's decision.

She glanced at her watch. It was almost time to go. Deep down she wondered if she was running away—from her mother, from her life, from the load that sometimes seemed unbearable, maybe all of it.

Her eyes went back to the necklace. It would definitely draw a lot of attention at the airport, and that was the last thing she wanted. She dropped the necklace under her favorite t-shirt, black with a gray floral design up the side. It felt warm against her bare skin. 

Then the strangest thing happened. 

____________

Click that little star if you like this chapter. 

So what do you think is up with the necklace?

Dedicated to Tami because she was the first friend to hop on Wattpad after my announcement on Facebook and comment. Thanks Tami!