Chapter 31

Curious what the thump is? Read on.

 If you are enjoying this story and want to know when the latest chapter is up, follow me on Wattpad. I update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays!

_________________

They jumped and whirled around. Chris and Samuel pointed their rigged-up flashlights at the noise. They peered into the dark, their eyes searching the shadows for an imminent attack. When the dust settled, it was nothing more than a rotted beam that had fallen to the floor.

Chris stuffed his flashlight back in his pocket.

“It’s not really a weapon anyway,” Chris said. “I would be perfectly fine with these flashlight thingies not even being necessary. Besides, I still haven’t figured out the other half of the equation. I only know how to freeze them. I don’t know how to kill them.”

“That’s what you should call them—flashlight thingies!” Kami laughed.

“Who will take care of the problem if not us? The police? Because according to you, they’re probably in cahoots with whatever’s sending out these monsters,” Samuel said. “Unless they’re just attacking randomly?" 

Chris shook his head.

“No way. That creature in the library stole the exhibit.”

“What?” Kami and Yasmin gasped at once.

“I may have forgotten to mention that part,” Liam said. “It was a nasty piece of work. What was that gunk it was throwing? Shadow acid?”

“I’m not sure,” Chris said. “For one thing, not all shadow creatures are the same. There seems to be some sort of evolution happening. This latest batch is showing signs of higher intelligence. I swear, some of those little things aren’t even smart enough to pick a booger.”  

Yasmin cleared her throat.

“I'm sorry to break up this profound conversation,” she said, “but I think we lost the shadow creature. Ready to make a run for it?”

Liam took Kami’s hand and helped her up. Her body screamed at her, but she ignored it.

“You okay?” Liam asked.

“Yeah.”

“Liar.”

“What choice do I have?”

“Just admit to your pain. Quit being so stoic.”

“Fine. I hurt everywhere.”

The corner of his mouth twitched. 

“Drama queen.”

Kami punched Liam in the arm, a pathetic punch considering her weakened state. He truly was incorrigible.

“Oww,” he complained, rubbing his arm. “My bicep is bruised.”

She was about to respond with a sarcastic retort when Yasmin spoke up.

“Listen everyone. As Liam and Haji already know, we are close to Alexandria University. We’re probably safer out in the open. Head east. Avoid the shadows. If we get split up, find your way there. Ready?” 

They exited through a side door and out into the street, where the sun shone brilliantly on them. They walked quickly, breaking into a half walk, half jog. Kami struggled to keep up. She knew she’d be paying for this later. 

They reached the university without incident. They crossed a neatly clipped grassy area with a palm tree ringed by carefully cultivated bushes in deep red and bright green shades. They opened the doors to a large tan-colored building. Yasmin led the way to a plump woman with short-cropped hair sitting at a desk. She was glaring at a computer screen and typing with short, jabbing motions, as if she were trying to stab the keyboard.