Chapter 3: The Hostage Situation

We all covered our ears as a door blew out into a classroom down the hall. Emily opened the door enough to take a peek through and see what happened. Through the smoke it looked as if it weren't a bomb but a chemical explosion. Like a science experiment gone wrong. We all stood up and peeked out into the hall and swatted away the smoke and dust. Then we heard footsteps. Preparing for tge gunman to come storming in we were surprised to see Natalie hopping over the pieces of broken door. She looked up at us and grinned. Come on, I made a distraction, let's get out of here while we can.

The rest of the class made a run for it towards the stairs while myself, Emily, Natalie, Sam and Sam's friend, Charlie waited to get through the door. We heard a yell, then the staircase door banged yet again, I knew it must be him as all the students knew to hold it firmly. We hurried in the opposite direction towards an empty classroom that was mostly used for big presentations nowadays since it was significantly bigger than the rest. Sam quietly closed the door and he and Charlie leant against it since there was no lock. We heard footsteps echo through the hallway as door after door was kicked in. The intruder yelled and cursed in frustration. "Casey! They're all gone! Why weren't you watching the door?" he roared. We looked at each other. So there was a second gunman, though the first guy seemed like he was in charge. So called Casey yelled back "I was Red, I just went to the science room to find a lighter to light my smoke. I was gone maybe 5 minutes. They couldn't all have got out in that time! Better check all the rooms and see." "Yes, you're right. Though you're a fool for leaving the door, now if there's nobody left we have nothing to bargain with. We need to find a hostage now."

So that was the first guys name, Red. Well it certainly fit his character as he has bright flaming red hair falling out of his ski mask.

Red and Casey seemed to be in a hurry now, kicking open door after door looking for any last students left behind. We looked at each other. The drop out the window was down to concrete, not grass like our old classroom so there was no way we could jump. "We're trapped." Natalie whispered. "No we're not. Look." Emily pointed out the window to our left. It opened sideways instead of outwards, she pointed down and we saw a fire escape ladder. "Devin, Natalie, Emily, quick get down the ladder, we'll hold it while we can, hurry!" Sam urged. "No! we're not leaving you behind!" I whisper shouted back. "Well if you hurry we might still have time to get down after you. HURRY UP." He replied. 

 Emily swung open the window. She began to turn around to go down the ladder when there was a crash on the door. She froze in a panic. The boys strained to hold the door when there was a gunshot and a hole appeared through the door a few centimeters above Charlies head. I yelled at them to move quickly. The door opened a little way as both men shoved against it. The boys moved at the last second as the men shoved the door again. They tumbled into the room but kept their balance. 

"Aha!" Red yelled. "So, there are some of you left." He saw Emily half out the window and darted to her to drag her back in. She screamed in pain as he pulled her by her hair. "Hey!" I yelled. "You don't have to do that! You could've just told her to come in herself!" Red rounded on me at once. He pointed his gun at my head and said "You really want to pick a fight with me? Huh? That little wretch, what was his name, the Australian kid, only got a shot in the shoulder. This time, I won't miss." My heart was pounding in my ears as the barrel of a gun was pointed between my eyes.  

Emily was now back in the room. I tried to get a glimpse of Casey, he looked like he was in his early twenties whereas Red looked as though he would be nearing 40. Red barked at us to get out and follow Casey. He then followed behind to make sure no one made a run for it. We followed Casey in single file down the hallway and down the stairs. As Red followed up the rear he was the last one through the door. Once again the door was ripped out of his hands and slammed behind him. Will this guy never learn? We are taken down onto the main floor of O Block then through a door and down the basement stairs too. I never even knew we had a basement since the door had been tucked around a corner. Red gave Charlie a push, who was at the back of the line which sent us all tumbling down the last few stairs. He then ordered Casey to tie us all up. Casey grabbed some zip ties and bound our wrists so tight it was difficult to move our hands at all. He then picked up some duct tape and covered our mouths. As Casey was covering my mouth with the tape Emily muttered "Assholes" under her breath. Red heard which earned her a hard slap. She winced and didn't say anything else.