Chapter 6: Someone's Missing

We got taken back to the school where our parents would pick us up. I wondered what had happened since we left the basement of the school what felt like hours ago. As we pulled into the school parking lot there was quite a lot of commotion. People from neighbouring houses had come into the streets to see what was happening and there were parents of the students still trapped in the school sobbing by the gates. 

I was sitting on a bench with the other four when the main doors of the B building flew open. I snapped my head up since Red had said that the doors were wired to the bomb. It seemed as though all the students were running out at top speed. They were all screaming and running towards us. The police caught the first few and asked what was up. A guy from my computer class explained that he's gone to get some snacks from the vending machine down the hall from his classroom and as he opened the flap to get the food he found the bomb. It was ticking down the last five minutes so he screamed for everyone to just get out. 

The students from the other buildings had now joined us and there were 500 students on the front lawn of the school trying to get as far back from the school as possible. It was well past 10pm now so it was pitch dark, we just had to stand and wait for our school to be destroyed as it was too late for the bomb squad to go and disable it. The policeman next to me was looking at his watch in 5 minutes with a confused look. 

"It's almost been ten minutes since everyone came rushing out and it still hasn't detnotated. There must be something wrong with the wiring."

 Another ten minutes passed and the police decided to send in the bomb squad to see if there really was a bomb.

A short time later the bomb squad returned looking relaxed. The person in charge of the squad informed us that it was a fake. There was never any real bomb. It was just a diversion so Red could get what he wanted and disappear without the police right on his tail. Though his plan failed as he's now going to be in prison for a long time. 

The police said we could all go home but some of us would need to come into the station for questioning first thing Monday morning including myself, Emily, Natalie, Charlie, Johnny, Sam and Cam. 

That's when Sam realized Cam was nowhere to be found. Nobody had seen him since he was in his class during the lockdown. He just disappeared after that. We were finally dragged away back home after our parents while Sam stayed behind to search for his brother.

What a day.

As soon as I got home I went to my room to change into a tank top and shorts and plug in my phone to charge. When it switched itself on after a few minutes I received a few messages. One from mum, 

"Devin, the police have found Red's house. They think there might be some clues there so you guys should be free from the lockdown soon." 

Of course, that was when the cops showed up as we were trying to escape with Casey. I wonder what happened to Casey after he was taken away. I read another text. This one was from Johnny,

 "The cops went down to the basement. Where are you guys? And where's Red and the other guy?" 

The cops must not know about the tunnel. I'll have to tell them on Monday when we are questioned. And just as I was about to put my phone down and go get some food I received another message. This time it was from Sam. 

"Cops searched entire school but Cam is nowhere to be found!! They say they will be back at first light tomorrow to have another look but it seems he just disappeared off the face of the earth!" 

I replied saying I would go tomorrow and help look, perhaps he had got trapped in one of the tunnels while trying to hide. I put my phone down and went downstairs, I hadn't eaten since lunch almost 12 hours ago. I made myself a grilled cheese and sat down at the table rubbing my wrists from where the zip ties cut in. My mum and dad sat with me until I finished asking what happened after my phone went flat. I knew I'd have to explain my story a many times in the next few days to various people.