Chapter 26

The ride back home was quiet. What was there to say besides the obvious? Sam was out for blood and couldn't be stopped. I look over at Lucas and he had a face of defeat. Every time he thought he had it planned out, Sam was two steps ahead.
"How's your back?" He asks me grabbing my hand.
My dress kept sticking to the cut.
"It hurts but I'll be fine." I smile at him but he just looks away and out the Window.
I roll my eyes.

I understand he was upset that he left me for two seconds but I didn't get kidnapped, or die. Lucas had to know that we were dealing with a deranged man that had connections, apparently, everywhere. We were dealing with one smart guy.

We get to the house and Dayo opens the car door for me. Lucas doesn't even wait for me and walks ahead into the house. I just stand, outside, at the bottom of the steps looking at my feet. Dayo had already jumped back into the car and had gone around to the Garage. I decided I needed some fresh air. I need to get away from this House, the Security, and from Lucas. Time for myself is what I deserved.

I walk towards the Garage. Peeking around the corner, I see Dayo going into the house from the side Door. I take my heels off, pick them up and run towards the Garage, ducking under the Windows. The Escalade was the closest car, so I get in through the passenger side, and climb into the Driver seat. Security always leaves the Keys hidden in the Visor. I pull open the drive side visor and breath a sigh of relief. The keys fall onto my lap. I say a prayer and hope, while turning the car on, that no one hears me. In this country, the steering wheel is on the right instead of the left. I should be able to do this. Easy right? I drive off, towards the gate. I realize the guards can't see me in here, so they should be able to let me go. The gate opens and I drive off.

Once I get a mile or two down the road I realize once Lucas knows I'm gone, he can track my phone. I take one hand off the steering wheel and take my phone out of the clutch. I Power it off. I just wanted two hours to myself. I know I'd never hear the end of it once I got home, but it would be worth it.

I get to my destination and pull over. I was back at my Apartment. It had been 4 months since I last saw the place. It looked like a completely different Building. I walk into the Little lobby and the walls are freshly painted and brand new carpeting installed. I realize I don't have my keys so I knock on the Superintendents door. I told him I left my keys and he didn't hesitate to open the door for me.
"You look pretty. Are you too rich for us now or something? I haven't seen you in forever."
I laugh at Steve. "Of course not. It's late. Please open the door."
He opens the door and wishes me a Good-nite.

The apartment is completely different. I couldn't believe my eyes. Brand new walls, painted a Lavender color. The nasty carpet that used to be my Flooring was now pretty, polished Wood. Gorgeous gray furniture. New Dining Room set. All the Kitchen Cabinets and appliances were all brand new. The Bathroom was white. How they managed to put a tub and walk-in shower in the same room was beyond me. I walk into my Bedroom and I'm stunned. It looked exactly like my room when I first arrived at the Mansion. Everything was white, with bits of purple in all over. Same furniture too. I had clothes, books, and tons of pictures here so I figured I'd start packing them up. I took a break when I had finished and sat on the sofa. So much had changed in a couple of months. This was my sanctuary for years and now it didn't feel like Home.
I yawn.
The Masquerade Ball and packing had me drained. It wouldn't be safe for me to drive back Home right now. Maybe a nap wouldn't hurt before I hit the road.
Yeah, I think I'll do that.

I woke up to the sun about to come up. I didn't even know what time it was. All my clocks where in boxes and sitting in the Hallway. Making one final round, I made sure I had all my belongings, loaded the truck and make my way back home.