Chapter 42

Lucas had arrived at 5pm. He was already dressed in a Black tux with matching shoes. I decided on a simple, Black cocktail dress, to the knee, with a plunging neck line, and matching Platform pumps. My hair was in a bun and my makeup was also simple. Lucas had bought me beautiful Diamond earrings and a matching necklace from his trip to L.A. The necklace  had a heart on it and in the center of it, a tiny baby foot print.

"Do you like it? I had it made."
Tears filled my eyes and I didn't want to ruin my make up. Lucas knew the drill once I looked up and started fanning my face.  He grabbed tissue and handed it to me. It was too late. The tears had rolled down cheeks taking the black eyeliner with it.
"Are you kidding me? I will never take it off. It's beautiful."

Once I washed my face and put my makeup on again, we left for the Tower. There were tons of people, Limousines, and Paparazzi in front of the Building.
"I heard you did an amazing job organizing this Charity Event, Mrs. Bower."
"Well I can't take all the credit. Diana and Maddie played a huge role."
Lucas grabbed my hand and kissed it.
"That's not what they said."
The car got closer to the valet and my heart started beating out of my chest.
"Can't believe all this chaos," I say as I look out the window.
"Well, this is what happens when the Prime Minister and some of the Royal Families attend. No one knows how to act."

We finally pull up to the front of the Building. Both our doors open and the valet helps me out of the car. I wait as Lucas comes around.
We walk onto the sidewalk. Diana and Maddie where standing there waiting for us. 
"Good evening, Sir, Mrs. Bower? Some reporters are waiting to ask you both some questions. They were instructed not to ask about the Kidnapping. If they do, we move along."
We both nod. I started to feel queasy. I've never done this. What if I embarrassed myself or Lucas?
He squeezes my hand and puts his mouth to my ear.
"You're talking out loud again. And you could never embarrass me, okay? Just take a deep breath."
I do as he says and we walk to the first reporter. I smile.
"Mr. And Mrs. Bower, How are you both? Nervous about tonight?" I remember seeing this woman on the local news station.
"We are great. And of course we are not nervous. My Wife did an amazing job getting all this together and in such a short time. She really is amazing!"
Lucas turned to me and kissed me on my cheek. I blushed.
"Mrs. Bower, you look amazing. You mind telling us what you are wearing?" She moved her Microphone close to me.
"Yves Saint Laurent."
"Beautiful," she says. "So tell us, how were you able to get all this done, in light of the tragedy you just went through? The amount of stress..."
She shakes her head and puts the Microphone so close to my mouth, I almost taste it.
"Alright that's enough of the questions. Mr. & Mrs. Bower, you can go inside!"
Diana had gotten between the Report and me and looked upset.
"I'm so sorry!" Diana mouths to me.
I smile.

We walk inside and have to go through the Metal Detectors. We then head to the Elevators. I noticed a lot of people decided to take the stairwell instead of Elevator. It was understandable. No one wants to wait forever. We get on the Elevator and arrive quickly to the third floor.

The third floor had all the cubicles removed and looked like a Giant Banquet Hall. Felt like it stretched forever. The Dance Floor was towards the back of the Room and the tables surrounded it. The Orchestra was sitting on a Platform towards the front of the Room. They were playing Celine Dion's 'I Surrender.' Huge Bouquets of White roses on the table, floor, and hanging from the Ceiling.  I wanted everything white. As clean looking as possible.

"Beautiful. I love it." Lucas says to me.
He takes my hand and guides me through the crowd. It felt like all eyes were on us.
"I never got to Dance with you the Night of the Ball. I need to make up for that." We step onto the Dance Floor.
He pulls me close. "Just follow my lead."
I was frozen in place.
"Look at me Baby. It's just you and me. Close your eyes." I do as I'm told. We start swaying to the music. "Pretend its just you and me dancing in our closet. Not a care World."
I wrap my arms around his neck. He dips me gently and pulls me back up.
"You look breath taking, you know that?"
"I do?" I try to hide my smile.
"Yes, and all the other men here thinks so too. Which infuriates me, but you're mine so, let them look."
As soon as our dance began, it finished.
"See that wasn't so bad."
Everyone in the room starts clapping for us. Those that were seated stood up also and clapped.
"Why are they clapping?" I say without trying to move my mouth.
"In light of recent events..."
Oh. I understood. We stand there for a couple more seconds.
I need a drink I tell myself.
I walk away from Lucas looking for a glass of Champagne. Everyone was going to question us about what happened. This was going to be a long night.

The night was going perfect. I was surprised at how close Lucas and Prime Minister Theresa May were. He was asking about her family and joking around with her. I was introduced to Royals and celebrities from all around the World. I almost passed out when I got to shake Paul McCartney's hand. My Uncle would listen to the Beatles day in and out. He was obsessed. I even got to take a picture with him.

"Maddie!" I see her as she takes two glasses of Champagne and makes her way to a table.
"How many glasses have you had?"
"Ummm...what comes after 8?"
My mouth falls open. Did she really spend her night trying to get drunk?  She tries to walk away, trips and I catch her. She's spilled a Champagne all over herself.
"Maddie are you insane!?" I whisper loudly.
"I'm sorry, these first two week have been so stressful and you are so amazing. I don't want to let you down!"
I see Dayo and I motion for him to come to us.
"You need to go home. You have the weekend to relax. I need you here Monday morning at 9 am sharp. Okay?"
"No!" She shushes me. "I'm supposed to be here all night with you. I'm not leaving."
"Listen you did an amazing job and that fish you fought hard for, it's here and you didn't a great job!But you need to go home. Oh and guess what? As a reward for your hard work, I'm buying you a pair of Christian LouBoutins. I see how you're always eyeing my shoes. Ay!?"
She smiles and squeezes my cheeks. Lucas was talking to someone and did a double take. Let's just say he wasn't happy.
"Where you just teasing me, Boss?"
"Yes, I was. Dayo is going to take you home."
She stiffened and the hugged me.
"No, please. He's so mean to me. He makes this weird noise whenever I speak to him. But he's so cute though!"
I laugh and straighten her up.
"No, he's not mean and I think he likes you. Give it a chance."
"Oh, wait. I forgot to tell you. You're wedding band. You left it in the Office today. I put it on Mr. Bower's Desk. In front of the photo of you and him."
She hiccups.
Dayo is standing in front of us when he notices Maddie rocking back and forth.
"Dayo, please take her home. Now!"
He grabs Maddie and throws her over his shoulder. Was that something customary in his native land? I am mortified to turn around and see if Lucas was watching. He was and he wasn't happy.
All eyes were on me.
I smile and wave.

"Um, I'm not going to bother asking what that whole scene was about."
Lucas walks towards me.
"I know, I'm sorry." He kisses my forehead and then my hand.
"Oh, crap. I have to go upstairs. My wedding band. It must've slipped off. Maddie said she put it on your desk.
"Do you want me to come with you?"
"No, I'm fine. And besides, I think the Prime Minister wants another word."
He looks towards her and smiles. She was motioning for him to come to her.
"I'll be right back." I give him a kiss and walk out the Room.

For safety and security reasons, all the Elevators stopped at the third floor. I had to find a security guard to program one to the 90th Floor. After what seemed like an eternity, I got to Luke's Office. I went straight to the desk and found my ring.
"Thought you could get away from me."
I told my Ring. It didn't fit as snug as it was, when I first got it. I've been through so much these past couple of months, I must have lost a lot of weight. Obviously my rings weren't going to stay put.

"So beautiful."
He whispers as he wraps his hands around me.
"Lucas, shouldn't you be downstairs with the guest? I don't think it's appropriate to be up here fondling me when we are hosting this event."
"Shhhh...". He says as he kisses my neck. He moves my hair aside. I moan softly and close my eyes. He passes his hand down my chest, cupping my breast. He takes his other hand and starts to raise my dress up.
"Lucas, not now. Wait til we get home."
He doesn't listen to me and starts getting rough. He then pushes me to Desk, where he bends me forward.
"Lucas! Lucas what are you doing? Stop!"
I turn around to face him and what I see shocks me. I forget to breathe. This can't be real.
Sam.