Prologue

Besides Ezra's raspy breathing and the beeping of the machines around him, the hospital room was deathly silent. Too silent for Sabine's liking.

The girl adjusted herself in the uncomfortable chair next to the hospital bed and cleared her throat, daring to hope that Ezra could hear what she was going to say next. Outside, it was the crack of dawn. 

No one, besides her and the medical droids were up yet.  This was typical of the time of day. Well, this was the time she woke up everyday now. Ever since Ezra had been in his coma, she had come to visit him for sometimes hours each morning.  She would refresh the flowers by his bedside,  squeeze his hand and tell him everything about her day.  Every time, she looked for the flutter of an eye, the twitch of a finger. No such luck though. But she didn't give up. If anything, Ezra Bridger taught her to never stop hoping. 

"Well Ez," She squeezed his frail hand, not wanting to let go. "You sure have us worried. I'm not doing my best in battle and I kind of blame you for that. Well, I shouldn't. It's Thrawn and that sith lord who is at fault. Our intel has it that that disgusting blue slimo is dead, but I don't know about that sith lord." Hate filled Sabine's eyes, as she clutched Ezra's hand harder. "Sith lord or not, he won't last long with ME around." Though she knew that this was impossible, the girl fantasized all the ways she could get revenge for Ezra on Vader.

Changing the subject so that she could resist the urge to punch the wall next to her because of how unfair life was( she had done that many times in her previous visits.) Sabine whistled. "You won't believe who got a girlfriend." She paused, as if waiting for him to answer. "Wedge! Her name is Kateari and she just joined the rebellion. As a pilot of course. Pretty good one too. Well, not as good as Hera." She chuckled, knowing that the twi'lek could basically fly better than anyone in the galaxy. "But still. She's very.. well, rebellious. Even in my standards. She has these dreadlocks that have so many beads in it. Wedge and her used to argue all the time over everything. But you could always tell that they were flirting. They just got together yesterday. What do you think about that?" 

Silence. 

"You know what, Ez?" A single tear came to the Mandalorian's eye.  "They reminded me of you and me. What we could've been..." She choked up, not wanting to go on any longer. "If everyone had ended up okay.. We could have had the perfect love story. But in this war, that's a luxury we are deprived of having."

Her commnlink beeped, signaling that it was time for her to go. She hesitantly let go of Ezra's almost lifeless hand, and kissed the top of his head. After putting on her helmet, she looked back at the boy. "I'll be back tomorrow." She whispered, before leaving to face her sure to be miserable day.