Burnt cinders

He spent the next few days locked in his office, since he had lost his home, looking through photos that he had long forgotten to remember. It was kind of painful, to only remember someone after they died.

He wasn't going to die anytime soon though, he knew better than to end his life, he still had many things to do in this world.

"Locked up in your office isn't going to make things better."

Midoriya had grown accustomed to the frequently visiting Todoroki, he turned around, noticing him standing behind him.

"I'm going through a difficult time, Todoroki-kun. So just let me be for now."

Todoroki didn't respond, much to Midoriya's relief, he wasn't in a mood to bicker right now.

"... I've decided to take your mother's case."

Okay. That got his attention.

Midoriya spun around so quickly, the chair creaked in surprise.

"You...what?"

"Midoriya Inko's murder, I've taken it as my case. I'll hunt down the person who killed your mother."

"W..what?" Midoriya couldn't process this information, he didn't know if he should feel gratitude. Or anger that Todoroki was butting in where he shouldn't belong.

"Why would you..?" Midoriya stuttered.

"...She's your mother, Midoriya. If I hadn't taken it, wouldn't you?"

True, he was planning to take up the case himself, if not for Todoroki doing it first.

Sighing, he turned back to his photo album.

"Do what you want, Todoroki-kun..."

"...But first, let me see the reports." Midoriya  finished.

"Sorry, the information is confidential. Midoriya."

That got his brain riling.

"She's my mother, Todoroki. Let me see the damn report." Midoriya hissed.

Todoroki remained impassive.

"No."

Midoriya threw his hands up in exasperation.

"I'm tired of you, I'll go solve it myself then."

Ignoring Todoroki, Midoriya went out of the office, back on the familiar road which had once led him to home.

What do I really want to be... huh.

His feet carried him to his burnt excuse of a house, it was still intact, just badly charred.

There was no one there, no police, no nothing.

If they truly cared, why is no one here?

Stepping gingerly into his house, he inhaled the scent of burnt furniture, this was obviously the work of a fire user.

It couldn't have been Inko accidentally starting a fire, she would have had enough time to run out of the house.

If only I had the reports.

Midoriya sighed, ticked off by Todoroki's secrecy.

Walking around, he took in all the destroyed appliances and walls, trying to find some sort of evidence, but nothing really stood out to him.

He was about to leave when he stumbled upon a piece of burnt wood, cursing he scrutinized the wood, finding it surprising that it looked so out of place.

It looked like a branch.

A branch? Why would a branch be here?

"Izu!!"

He was tackled by a familiar blonde girl.

"Toga? How did you know I was here?"

"It doesn't matter!" Toga smiled, pointing to that, she said.

"As of now, doesn't that branch look familiar?"

"What? How did you know?"

"Like how I knew where you were during your mum's funeral?"

"I'm always watching you, Izu-kyun!!"

That sounded really creepy but really Toga-like at the same time. Midoriya decided to dismiss that.

Toga smiled, "I'm here to ask you one last time, Izu."

"Are you joining us?"

Midoriya scanned the branch, trying to avoid answering the question, he was at his wits end, and felt really useless.

It looked familiar, he racked his head, digging up all the information that was buried along with his dreams.

Hero Notebook number 13
Kamui Woods
Ability to manipulate wood

So it's him. He was here at the scene.

If Kamui Woods was here, why wasn't my mother saved??

A pro hero's first duty is to save the civilians.
Even if it costed his life.

Midoriya felt sheer anger rolling off him in waves.

What the hell was he doing?

He couldn't save one fucking civilian? How useless is that hero?

He felt his heart clench as he knew that his mother could have still been alive.

He looked at Toga, eyes hardening.

These heroes

He braced himself for his reply.

should all be dead.

"...I'm joining you guys..."

"...on one condition..."

Toga smiled wily.

"...we kill Kamui Woods."

Toga laughed, arms outstretched, as she hugged Midoriya. Eyes glinting with excitement and bloodlust.

"Oh my Izu..."

"Welcome. To the League of Villains."

A/N: This seemed like a really nice place to stop, sorry for the short chapter! I've been busy with work these days wew. And 3K? THATS SUPER FAST WHAT. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, it makes me super happy to know there are people reading and hopefully enjoying this story! 💛

Thank you for following up with Fractured! 💕