Comfort

"Oi." Midoriya turned upon hearing the sluggish voice behind him.

Slow reggae music echoed around the abandoned bar in Kamino. It was surprising Tomura kept the jukebox, instead of disintegrating it or whatsoever.

"What is it Tomura?"

"We're going to launch an attack in the city , want to come?"

Midoriya laughed, unfazed.

"Sure. But I won't be able to do much."

"You can fight if you want, if not just help us gather intel about the pro heroes."

After the Kamui Woods incident, the League of Villains seemed to be more welcoming, more friendly. Sometimes it scared Midoriya that even Tomura could smile.

"When is the attack?"

"Tomorrow."

"Ah, terribly sorry but, I have to work." Midoriya sighs.

"You'll end up at the disaster scene sooner or later with lover boy."

Midoriya hoped they didn't mean Todoroki, but nevertheless he tried shoving down his rising blush.

Tomura narrowed his eyes.

"You can go now."

Kurogiri wasted no time, stepping behind Midoriya.

"After you."

Midoriya stepped in, letting himself get sucked into the black mist, engulfing him.

He found himself back in his office.

Midoriya looked at the clock.

6pm

He had time before work ended.

Deciding not to waste it, Midoriya busied himself with rearranging his books for the umpteen time. Humming softly as he sifted through the books, handing them with care.

"I rarely see you make that face."

Midoriya turned to his side to see Todoroki watching him with his usual stoic expression. All traces of yesterday's argument absent.

Forgotten? No.

More like acceptance.

Midoriya cocked his head, eyes flashing with curiosity.

"What face am I making, Todoroki-kun?"

"One of happiness."

Midoriya laughed. It was true, he rarely felt at peace. Despite now, being a turbulent time for his mental state, he occasionally found sanctuary in silence.

"It would be nice to see you smile for a change." Todoroki continued.

Sensing where the conversation was going, Midoriya smiled sadly.

"It would be nice to see your face actually emanating some expressions too, Todoroki-kun."

"Everyone says that." Todoroki huffed, to Midoriya's surprise.

"I do know that my face is one of stoicism, expressionless, you're not the only one who told me that."

Midoriya sighed. As if that wasn't obvious enough.

"Human's have emotions, Todoroki-kun, if you keep hiding them away, no one will be able to help."

"As much as you want to save me, Todoroki-kun. I too want to know what's going on in your life that turned you into such a person."
Midoriya said firmly, determination glimmering in his eyes.

Todoroki was silent, it wasn't the kind of fury-silence, but one of contemplation. Midoriya, too, was startled by the peacefulness in this conversation. As if they were just friends, having casual talk.

"If I were to tell you, you will have to move in with me."

Midoriya hissed inwardly, that would bring a lot of trouble to his villain work. But did he have a choice?

"I was born to Endeavor, the number two hero in the world, that must sound like a wonderful thing right? Midoriya?"

Todoroki didn't give him time to agree, but rather, indirectly forced Midoriya to move in with him. As much as he didn't want to admit, that was a smart move.

Midoriya nodded hesitantly, only to see Todoroki's eyes darken, his mouth tilting downwards slightly, signaling his anger.

"It wasn't."

"My father, he had no care in the world for our family, he used my mother as a tool to create the most powerful human on Earth, even more powerful than All Might, one with both ice and fire quirks. With both ice and fire, I can negate the side effects of overusing my quirk."

"But he abused my mother, and isolated me from my siblings, training me since I was five, I would either end up at the corner of the training room, crying, or in front of the treadmill, vomiting."

Midoriya was stunned, he know Endeavor was an ass, but this was what was happening behind closed doors, where the media can't probe in.

He wondered how many other heroes have sinned just like him.

Todoroki gestured to his burn mark, the patch of red surrounding his eye.

"My mother went crazy, she claimed my left side looked too much like that man, one day, I overheard her talking about how she can't take care of me anymore."

"I made the mistake of calling her, my mother was once a bright and lovely woman, always happy and kind. But now she had been reduced to a shell of her formal self."

"Your left side is unsightly. She said as she poured boiling water onto my face."

Midoriya mouth opened, slightly agape.

"She'd been sent to a hospital where she had been cooped up ever since."

"It was my father's fault she was stuck there." Todoroki's voice morphed of one of pain to pure unadulterated anger, fists trembling.

"I swore I will reject his power, I'll reject that man's power and become the number one hero to show how Endeavor, the number two hero, was a failure."

Midoriya blinked. A couple of times, firstly, to confirm that Todoroki Shouto, was opening up to him.

And secondly, he wanted to become the best with only half his power?

That kind of thinking didn't settle quite right with Midoriya.

That's wrong...

Midoriya didn't get it, why Todoroki would use that as a reason to chain himself down.

Throwing away potential was a stupid move.

And even more stupid for someone like Todoroki, whom Midoriya found himself genuinely caring for, despite arguments and discord always making their way between them.

I've got to find a way to make him come to his senses.

After all he had to agree, despite all their arguments, all their actions.

Midoriya had found solace in Todoroki.

And a small part of him hoped Todoroki found solace in him too.

A/N: ayy Midoriya and Todoroki's relationship is a rocky rollercoaster that even I can't keep up with myself ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=┌(; ̄◇ ̄)┘

Thank you for following up with Fractured !!