Chapter 4

"Ella?" Jessica gently nudged me trying to snap me out of my staring contest with the beautiful stranger. Well, he wasn't a stranger, I knew exactly who we was, but at the same time I didn't. I only knew his name, and his fame status. Something that barely crossed my mind.

She turned her head to the direction I was staring at as I broke eye contact with him. He quickly looked away, turning his attention back to whoever he was with this late at night.

"Do it" Jessica said as she turned to face me.

"What?" I said uncomfortably as I gave her a quick side eye, pretending not to know what she was talking about. I played with the old sugar packets that were scattered around the worn out table.

"Talk to him" she said a little louder catching the attention of one our friends.

"Are you crazy!" I laughed out loud but it came out more awkward than intended.

"Are you guys okay?" One of the guys at the table asked, concern in his voice.

"We're good" Jessica said as she took a sip from her drink, playing with the straw as she gave me a flirty look. I rolled my eyes in a jokingly manner before we both turned to look at the table he was sitting at.

They were getting up, ready to leave when I realized the exit was right next to where we were sitting. I mentally cursed at my luck but at the same didn't mind it.

He walked past, the scent of strong cologne smelling better than the food from earlier. It almost made me salivate. I felt his eyes on me as he made his way by.

I looked up briefly, feeling my ears grow hot again. His eyes met mine like they did before and it felt brand new like every time.

His eyes weren't kind
They weren't warm
They weren't welcoming

Yet they seemed to be calling my name and it made me squirm in my seat. Something about them lured me in, it was like his magic trick, a party trick he probably did for every pretty girl that came in his view.

But here I was, falling with no parachute and no cushion waiting for me when I hit the cold floor. I knew the consequences but I knew no better.

I wanted those eyes to look at me that way in dark cars and velvet interiors. Local diners and fancy hotels. On summer nights when I barely have anything on. I wanted those eyes to look at me like that

When I'm crying and pleading for him to stay

When my heart breaks right in front of him

When I promise to never love again.

"Next Friday then?" Jessica said as we stood outside under the soft drizzling rain.

"Next Friday!" Our friends responded as they began to make their way home on the opposite side of town.

Jessica linked her arm with mine as we began to walk down the dark and empty street. It was something we shouldn't have been doing but what's life without risks.

"I have a date" Jessica said breaking the comfortable silence.

"Oh yeah" I said nudging her lightly while I raised my eyebrows.

"Mhm, he's an awesome basketball player" she said as she let her head fall back sighing in complete infatuation. She seemed to be really dreamy about this guy, and I was happy for her.

I really hoped she wouldn't bring up what happened at the diner. I didn't want her to know my dark desires and how his eyes made me feel. She would think I was crazy. And maybe I was.

Never having my heart broken was driving me crazy

We were almost home and the rain began to fall heavier. We could see our apartment entrance from where we were and our shivering bodies begged for us to hurry.

We stopped at a traffic light, waiting for our cue to cross. The thumping sound of music from the strip club next to us only made me want to get home even faster. A sudden sound of laughter caught our attention as our heads snapped towards the entrance of the strip club.

My heart dropped when I saw those familiar eyes appear from out the doorway of the club. He hadn't noticed me this time and I was a bit glad for it. My eyes fell upon his soft, pink, plump lips as he took a drag from his cigarette. He was laughing at some joke his friend made which had made another friend of theirs laugh loudly. The same laugh that had caught our attention in the first place.

"Lets go" Jessica said sounding concerned as she dragged me away from the situation and onto the cross street where we continued to make our way home. I saw Jessica look back briefly only causing her to hold onto me tighter.

"Ella" she said

"Don't look back" she added.

I bit my lip before I responded.

"I have to" I said. And that's exactly what I did.

Without fail, I saw those same pair of green eyes looking back at me as we made our way across the street.

Those green eyes were filled with darkness.

And I wanted to explore them.