Chapter 6

I walked into what I thought would be my empty apartment only to see Jessica sitting on the couch. She looked up from her phone, her face glowing with happiness so I assumed the date went splendid.

"Aren't you happy?" I said as I dropped my bag onto the  couch.

"I could ask you the same thing" she said as she sat up straight eyeing me up and down.

"Hmm" she said looking at me suspiciously

"what" I whined as I sat down next to her and looked straight at her.

Suddenly her voice grew serious.

"Ella" she said quietly, as if she was afraid someone would hear us.

"You didn't meet up with that guy? Right?" She asked sounding a bit concerned.

"What!" I said pretending to be shocked at her words and when I realized that wouldn't work I took different measures.

"What if I did" I said shrugging my shoulders and looking straight ahead.

"He's bad news Ella!" She said with widened eyes.

"How do you know that!" I exclaimed back, growing agitated.

"I just know" she sighed as she looked at me with worried eyes.

"Okay" I responded. Not agreeing or disagreeing with her.

"He paid for my drink" I said.

"What drink" Jessica snapped her head towards me.

"Hot chocolate" I said trying to stifle a laugh.

"You're such an asshole" Jessica said as she nudged me causing both of us to laugh.

"He's bad" I said looking straight ahead.

"That he is" she agreed as we looked towards the blank tv.

"And you're going to fall for it" she said.

"What about this?" Jessica asked as she spun around in her 5th outfit of the night. I sighed in annoyance. She looked gorgeous in everything yet was completely unsatisfied.

"You look good!" I said before she nodded in agreement.

"You're running late" I said showering her the time on my phone.

"Crap!" She exclaimed before running into her bedroom. She rummaged for a minute or two before reappearing.

She was going on another date with Steve, the basketball player. They had seemed to really hit it off the first time. This time, they were going to a late night bar with a couple of Steve's friends.

"Go" I laughed as she looked at me one last time before she walked out the door.

"Don't wait up!" She said before the door shut gently behind her. I turned my attention back to the random movie that was playing on the tv.

It was already about 12 am by the time I realized she really meant don't wait up. I continued to watch whatever played on the tv.

It was a pretty warm night so I decided to wear the cute tank and short set Jessica had gotten me for Christmas. The one she said was a late booty call outfit yet I never wore it for that reason.

I let the blanket cover half my body as I played with strands of my hair, completely fixated on the television.

A sudden vibration of my phone snapped me out of my trance. Expecting it to be Jessica I decided to ignore it until it vibrated again. Worried, I quickly pulled my phone from under the blanket, ready to read Jessica's name across the screen but was instead taken aback when I noticed a random number.