Three

"Are you listening Nashira?" 

"Yes Wilda" I respond tiredly. She frowns and asks me rapid fire questions.

"What are scholar factions? How many does the Day Court have and what do they do?".

"Scholar factions are groupings of scholars who believe in the same teachings of either a current scholar or a way of learning. The court contains officially 9 scholar factions but there are many who follow similar pacts with minor differences. The scholar factions are the ones who maintain the libraries in the sense of adding new content and crediting sources and truths" I recited by memory but couldn't hold my yawn back at the end of my recitation.

"What's wrong with you Nashira, you're usually more energetic than this?" she asks me worriedly. 

I stretch in the sun filled room made of tan stone and filled with nothing but ladies craft materials. But long ago, Kapir would sneak in old supplies from his learning so I could have some stuff to help me learn with. But without the use of paper, I was left to remember all that I learned indefinitely. 

I sigh, she was bound to find out. "I've started training with the Master to learn to fight. We've been having secret lessons every night for a few months now" I confess.

"Can you tell me why you wanted to learn these sorts of skills?" she asks me cryptically. 

Another sigh. "Because I've realized when I leave this place I won't and can't use my family name to protect me, so I'll be even more vulnerable than now. It's a needed skill and also...I love it" I explain.

Wilda is serious and takes a moment to consider what I just said. I really loved learning how to use my body like the guards do and it's an experience I've never had before, like I was meant for this a bit. It's been a few silent moments when Wilda speaks again. 

"Nashira, I think what you're doing has value to it and I'm proud that you thought of this yourself. As well as, I'm happy that you've found what makes you happy" she pauses and takes my hands in hers. "You my Lil River, are a very closed person for your age and I'm happy to be one of the few people that have been let into your heart. You are such a mature child that I'm afraid that you don't need me to guide you to what's right, but you do need my love. A mother's love and I'm the luckiest woman to call you a daughter" and she hugs me tightly to seal her words as undeniable fact.

I let out a few tears, as many as I'll allow. Once Wilda has composed herself she pulls back and surveys me.

"Nashira, I need you to promise me something" she says.

"What?"

Her face hardens, and she says sternly "don't tell your brother about this or anything else we ever discuss in this room from now on".

I'm not surprised she said that. Wilda will freeze up or become distant when Kapir is with us. And I know deep down why.

"Wilda can you give me a reason?" I press her for details.

She takes a deep breath, "He's got other motives for helping you Nashira. I have no doubt that one day he'll reveal just what they are, but they are nothing honorable."

I'm processing the fact that my dark suspicions were true when a voice outside yells out. 

"This will certainly be entertaining, they always beg before their heads get cut off" an amused male says.

"This even has the audacity to say it's innocent" huffs the other male.

I ignore them, hating every time an execution was held. The human slaves who got beheaded were deemed of guilty enough crimes that their lives were worth ending in public, after being tortured by whoever was wronged. It's just an easy way for a sadistic Fae noble to have some fun occasionally, at the expense of human lives.

"I hear it was Lord Kapir who was wrong this time" the second male say.

"Not Ramlee or Azzie again? Well true, he hasn't had fun with a criminal in a while and he must have needed the release with his latest rejection" the first male says.

My heart drops. Kapir is one of those sadistic, corrupt nobles who indulge in the humans' suffering. He tortures them, and he's done it multiple times, my beloved, gentle brother. And what do they mean latest rejection?

"Wilda, where are the execution grounds?" I ask softly. She looks at me sharply, but she understands that I need to see this for myself.

"The training grounds, they set up a temporary stage for it" she replies stiffly. 

I stand from my seat on the floor and head to the door, but something makes me turn back.

"Please come with me" I whisper to Wilda. She smiles at me sadly but takes my hand and together we arrive to the training grounds. 

The area is packed with Fae, nobles coming for a very sick show that was about to begin. They cheer and jostle forward when they see the human slave being dragged forth, the sound of rattling chains accompanying them. They chain the slave to a post, ensuring that the human is kneeling, ready for the killing blow. When the human slave looks up from the already stained wood, I gasp with recognition. It is the human man who saw me in the library months ago and it seems that the man recognized me too because is eyes look with mine. His eyes are filled with resignation and tears leak from my eyes. My eyes plead for him to understand, that I said nothing about him and that I'm sorry. The people around us go into a greater frenzy when the executioner walks up onto the stage, a solemn looking Master.

"What are the charges?" he calls out in a formal voice.

Kapir stands out from the crowd when he yells out "It is guilty of attempting to steal texts from the 753rd Library of the Court and personal research notes".

"It has been proven guilty, proceed" yells out an official.

The Master raises his sword and my eyes connect with the human's eyes again, no, his one eye and I get a sickening feeling in my stomach because Kapir must have done it. His eye holds no blame for me, but a desperate wish. 

I turn my head and hear the thud of his decapitated head seconds later.