Thirty-two

"I ask of you all that you only give me your all to dedicate in the protection of your people and families. Who will keep our enemies from chopping them down like swathes of grain? You, and that is why you must put all your effort into becoming stronger. So, I don't care if you complain or if you groan or moan about training, I only care that you do it."

Nashira had often given this speech in the long years after the war when she trained new recruits who were joining the army. Being a Scorpion, she was given responsibilities to uphold the quality of the soldiers and warriors in the army and that meant she became one of the best trainers in the army. They had discovered that she had a great sense of an individual's potential and talents, knowing how hard to push them and where. She was also one of the best lecturers at the female's college that she had helped set up. 

"Hey, Nashira come to take a look at this!"

Nashira dismissed the recruits who had finished their last drill and walked over towards the fae waving at her from the sideline of the training grounds that were muddy in their late spring weather. 

"What is it Samila?"

Samila grinned and handed her a bunch of papers that looked like one that the graduating students in the college were required to write. It was written by a female named Su who was majoring in History and cultures that Nashira knew very well. Not only was the college somewhere where females could gain an education, but it also gave them a safe environment where they can learn in peace. Su had been abused by her mother for wanting to follow her dream of being a scholar that her own mother had cut out her eyes to prevent her from doing so. But once she had been picked up by Samila and Nashira, she learned how to use magic to read and write. Now she was only one exam away from joining the Giru-Hak faction as a novice.

"She definitely outdid herself, I gave her leave for someone else to write her papers for her, yet she wrote all 30 pages by herself. And that's not considering the notes and drafts she might have made" Samila gushed.

Nashira smiled at her and she was grateful to have met Samila even though it was more like she had experienced Samila.

Nashira was laying back and relaxing after a long day of training and the sudden scouting trip she had to make for Asim which didn't help her fatigue. Just as she was reaching for some reports she had to read on the latest batch of recruits, a female winnowed right into her tent.

"By the Mother, I've wanted to meet you since Helion came back grumbling about 'another problem cousin' and I forced the story out of him. I heard how you took a stand and you're a Scorpion and a female so I wanted to ask if you would help me set up a college for females."

Nashira was standing in a crouch for the female's entire rant but slightly eased out of it. 

"I'm assuming your Lady Samila?"

"I know I was supposed to come tomorrow to meet you, but I was too excited!"

The short female indeed was bouncing with energy and her grey eyes looked silver with her emotions not to mention how her long hair bounced along with her. 

"No wonder Asim had warned me about her" Nashira mumbled.

"What did you say?"

"I said it's too late for me to deal with you now, so I'll talk to you in the morning. Now I'll take you to your tent and you can let me sleep."

Samila hadn't just come to her at random she had planned the idea of making a female college since she'd learned that not all females had the support or the ability to get an education like her. She just needed someone who was able to teach the girls fighting and to set up protection for the students. Nashira was the obvious answer and the had enough graduated students after more than four centuries of opening the school, that there was a permanent female school guard of current and graduated students. Samila was the official head of the school, but Nashira was the unofficial mother hen of the college. She was not ashamed to cry in joy for the females who graduated and either found good jobs that they love or those who joined one of the factions to continue learning. With the help of Helion, they had set up a system that protected the females who decided to join a faction and that the learning they did at the college was recognized by them.

"I'll have a talk with her, she'll strain herself if not," she said shaking her head and opening the flap in her tent.

"Who's the next guest speaker we're scheduled for this month?"

"Kaimuzu."

"Oh no," Samila groaned as she fell back into Nashira's bed.

Oh no was right, Nashira thought grimly. When they had started the college Kaimuzu had jumped to teach lectures on healing and anatomy for them and as they gained more permanent teachers, he only visited occasionally. But it became some form of tradition that whoever wanted to pass their examinations that they had to touch at least a hair on his hair. Some took it further and asked for a whole night's experience, but Kaimuzu always refused. It infuriated Nashira because she could never talk to him with females darting in and out of their conversations to pat his back or even kiss his cheek. 

Nashira's mood became stormy and Samila winced at her expression, but she couldn't help being annoyed about the hussies that were going invite Kaimuzu to their beds.

"I can tolerate anything the females can send my way from pranks to idiotic behaviour, but I hate this tradition they insist on doing."

"At least he never excepts," Samila whispered in sympathy.

"That's the only reason I haven't ended it yet."