Twenty

I hated to admit it, but Jabari had a point, the right flank sucked.

All around me were a bunch of greenhorn soldiers and mildly experienced commanders. Why did no one realize that if this side buckled, that it would most probably go down? What was even worse was that it was a collage of different foot units from different courts. There were Summer Court soldiers, Autumn Court soldiers, Day Court respectively and even human soldiers. While on the opposing side of the grand divide between armies looked to be one, true cohesive army matching our size.

"Looks like we're in deep trouble".

I was slightly irked by Kinsey's presence beside me, but there was no way I could move as it was just the way our lines were positioned. I was like a pawn used in a game of chess, I move, stay or die depending on the player's wishes. But in this game, life will end multiple times for a chance of victory.

"Are we back to the ignoring thing, because I seriously would at least like to know you are listening" he quips.

"I was on duty last night, I had no time to converse or to become distracted. And now, now I'm preparing myself for a slaughter" I say calmly.

"I say as long as the commanding general knows what he's doing, we'll be fine" Kinsey replies.

I scan over the slate and green army in front of us and lift my arm to a spot in the center of their army. Kinsey focuses on what I'm pointing at and his face of confusion turns into one of dread.

"You've got to be kidding me. They're really not giving any quarter are they" he grumbles.

Because standing there in a sparkling set of armor the color of the richest wine or of blood, stood a fae female with hair as brilliant as her armor. Amaranthe, the King of Hybern's cruel general, and a force of nature herself without the thousands of soldiers around her.

"We either have to beat them within an inch of their lives or risk being exterminated after being squeezed dry of all our information". I glance at Kinsey and he has a grim look on his face and a look of fear in his eyes.

"Why do you care if I stand up for myself or not?" I suddenly ask. I don't know this male very well, but I know that he might end up being in between me and death, so I want him as focused as possible. Being scared will ruin his focus, but a conversation will take his mind off it.

"Why do you let them insult you?" he fired back with his own question.

"Because their words come from fear and a challenge to their pride". A female stronger than them? Saving their lives? No-that concept is too outlandish for males who pride themselves on being intelligent and logical.

"But they'll never know anything different if they don't learn it. How are they supposed to know your value if you don't show them?" he responds.

"I know when to fight my battles, this is one that's not so important" I state.

He gives me a questioning look as in to mean explain and I sigh a little before ordering my thoughts in a way that will make sense.

"I'm not the first female to try to break my Court's standards, there are a few recorded within our main scholar factions but also many who went unheard. I'd rather make it easier for those that will come after me to be accepted. The sooner the males feel like we're not a threat, the sooner will we be treated the way we should be. But all we're seen as valuable for, is our purity and reproductive capabilities, trust me a male would kill his wife if he knew she wasn't a virgin".

Kinsey doesn't ask or say anything more and I let him be since he's not so clouded with the thought of his death. But I guess peace was not meant to be had for him or I because the order to advance was given. For hours we fought the forces against us but there seemed to be something draining our strength as we tired much quicker than we should have. 

I must have had worse luck than I thought because the right flank started to buckle. I searched within all the chaos for Jabari to see what the cauldron he was doing. And what I saw was the stupid prick panicking in the middle of the soldiers. I shoved my way none too nicely over to him and hissed loudly, "What in the Mother are you doing! The line is buckling, you need to go up there and fix it!".

Jabari looks pale and is trembling in fear. "I can't," he says brokenly. He stares me in the eyes and I see the despair and desperation in his eyes. "I can't".

"Then I will". I have no time to replay what just happened before I'm at the front-line yelling to those around me.

"Form up! Hold the line or else this battle's lost! Trust that your comrades are behind you!" I order.

There isn't an immediate change in the line, but gradually it starts to straighten out and even push back against the onslaught. I continue to fight while giving orders out to the males in Jabari's command. But I almost drop my sword in shock over what happens next. A black bolt of power is sent out towards the middle of the army and it decimates a huge portion of it.

I look towards where the power came from and find that it was none other than Amaranthe. She looks bored like she just killed so many to get this show over with. But you can tell she enjoyed it because she had a lazy smirk plastered on her face.

"We're dead," Kinsey says from behind me when I even didn't know he was there.

I turn and glower at him and he flinches back from the intensity of it.

"We're not dead yet. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to throw down my life at the first sign of defeat." After saying so, I yell at the males in shock around me. "Get your swords up and reform! Close the gap by having the back rows move up!".

The males rush to do as I said after a moment of hesitation. It seems our actions jump-started the rest of our army because we are once again engaged in battle with Hybern's army.