Forty-nine

Nashira had woken up the next day throwing up in the toilet and thanked the Mother that someone had braided her hair the night before. Kaimuzu was right there a second later rubbing her back and her nausea went down as she felt him use a bit of his healing power on her.

"You probably have nausea from expending so much power yesterday."

Nashira washed her mouth and turned to hug Kaimuzu, he didn't seem to mind that this morning was a cuddly one for them. Nashira grounded herself by the feel of her mate's arms around her and settled her mind and body into the present.

"Have you seen the baby yet?" she asked her mate.

"No. I took you to bed after you fell asleep and I know you sleep better when I and my muscles are around," he replied cockily.

She looked up into his sparkling crystal eyes and couldn't be mad at him.

"Sometimes you're cockier than any soldier I've ever met, and you know Madu exists so it's hard to beat him."

Her mate struck a pose and she laughed at him.

"I've seen recruits with more muscle than you," she mocked.

"You love me still," he retorted and walked back to the bedroom.

She followed him and liked the cozy room they had gotten, especially the amazing view she had of Velaris from the window. The breezy orange drapes and matching accents in the room made her feel slightly at home like they were surrounded by Sunstone all around them.

"I had a nursemaid, Wilda, did I ever tell you about her?" she suddenly asked.

Kaimuzu continued getting dressed as he thought of his answer.

"I know the gist of what happened in your childhood because of that one time you blew up at me after your mission at Vallahan, but I don't know who she was."

"She was my only friend, my ally and my surrogate mother. My closest brother killed her right in front of my eyes just as she had told me I would always have a place with her and I know she meant Velaris."

She felt Kaimuzu staring at her while she said that, but it was the truth and it was about time that she shared it with him.

"I want you to come sightseeing in the city with me, and to maybe find her family so I can give them closure to what happened to her."

"Lead the way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They returned to the House of Wind in the evening for dinner after a great time sightseeing in the city of light. Their trip yielded no results on trying to locate Wilda's family, but Nashira had waited this long, she could wait a little bit more. 

"What should I wear? Should I wear those pants I have with the slits, or go with a robe? One arm bracelet or two?"

Nashira wondered which one of them was the female in the room with the amount of fussing Kaimuzu was putting into his outfit. Nashira took the easy route and went with a black dress with multiple layers and slits so it flowed to reveal her legs as she walked. Simple obsidian jewelry went with it and a dark purple lip.

"Put the pants on or else you'll steal my pour cousin's thunder if the two of you both show up in robes."

Kaimuzu nodded seriously and changed into the pants and Nashira bit back her smile because she had been teasing him when she said that.

"You know I was teasing you right?"

Kaimuzu blushed and looked indignantly at her, "I knew that."

She was still amused when they entered the large dining room that most everyone had already gathered in. The males looked to be drinking near the chairs while the females were at the table cooing at the baby in Feyre's arms. Nashira slid into a seat diagonal to the group of females and watched them.

"You know you can't drink for another two or three years until you ween him, right?" Mor joked.

Feyre's annoyed reply set the group laughing, but Nashira remained impassive and apart of the group.

"Nashira, why don't you join us?" Samila called to her.

"I'm actually going to steal her for a moment, official thanks and all are in order for one of my saviours," Rhysand interrupted, suddenly appearing beside Nashira's chair.

Nashira followed him when he led her out to the balcony that was nice, but a little too close to the dining room for a private conversation. She slid a sound barrier around them, and Rhys glanced at her with knowing eyes.

"I've heard a lot about you, even before you helped us so much," he began.

"It would be hard not to have, I was a source of entertainment Under the Mountain if I remember correctly."

Rhysand's eyes darkened, "Yes, there's that isn't there."

"But from what I've heard, you're the one who had it worst."

"Would you like to know about Wilda's family?"

Nashira stared pointedly at Rhysand, but he was staring wistfully at their bird's, or rather Illryian, eye view of the city. Nashira took a deep breath to steady her thoughts and her raging emotions.

"Yes."

"She was one of many tutors I had as a child, but she was the kindest. Her father is one of the Palace overseers and that how she got the position to be my tutor, but only a few months after she left Velaris. She had wanted to travel and to help other children on the continent to reach their full potential. "

"She ended up dying for her dream though."

Rhysand turned to face her, "Her father deserves to know how she fulfilled her dream though."

"I'll tell him myself tomorrow," she waved him off and dropped the sound barrier as she walked back inside.

"I haven't said thank you yet though," Rhysand pouted after her.

"You're almost worse than Helion," she rolled her eyes.

"Aww, that hurts cuz," Helion said from in front of her.

"Now there are two babies," Kaimuzu whispered from the dining table.

"I thought this was supposed to be a vacation," Nashira gritted out raising her eyebrow.

"It is when you get to lay eyes on me," Cassian said as he raised his cup to hers.

"I'd much rather cut your nose off with my knife, it'll make you prettier," she snarled back.

"Go ahead, if you can."

Nashira watched him shift into a more defensive stance and smirked at the fact he felt threatened by her. He had at least some common sense in his head, but it was the glare in his mate's face that stopped her. Even though any power she had gotten from the cauldron was gone, Nashira felt that Nesta could cause some major damage. 

"Cut off his nose and I'll cut off your ears," she snarled at Nashira.

Nashira shrugged and turned to Feyre who was seated beside her laughing along with Gillian. The meal was peaceful from then on, at least as peaceful as it could get with Cassian and Nashira through quips at each other every other second.