Forty-five

Nashira watched in amusement at the Shadowsinger and Samila interacting with each other and Samila's embarrassment at blurting her thoughts. 

"Ah, now I'll never have you" Helion whines from the head of the table. 

Nashira gave her cousin a sharp look who pouted at the Shadowsinger in longing.

"Helion, I will bury you in the ground still alive if you dare mess with Samila's mate".

"Nashira why do I have to listen to you?" Helion retorts.

"Because I will castrate you and mar your face so you will never again enjoy someone's company". 

She could see she unnerved him with the threats Samila had just wished for him a few days ago. 

The new mates came out of their reverie and Samila offhandedly said, "Nashira don't worry, he'll never get the chance to. And besides, the court needs those specific family jewels."

Everyone laughed and Nashira relented but kept a sharp eye on Helion who knew he was in hot water at the moment. Nashira glanced back as she heard the Shadowsinger ask his High Lady if he could leave. She replied too quietly for Nashira to hear, but she could tell that she fully supported the new mates. At least Nashira wouldn't have to worry about Samila at the Night Court. It had been a personal opinion of hers, that was supported by Velaris' newly revealed existence, that the Night Court wasn't all darkness. And if rumours of the four market palaces within the city were true, she knew Samila would be very happy there. 

The banquet continued on and Nashira discreetly took that time to observe the High Lady of the Night Court. There was a sadness about her that Nashira shuddered at the thought of the suffering from the loss of her mate. Feyre was smart, kind and so easy to get along with, yet others saw the female who had saved them Under the Mountain and during the war with Hybern who lost her mate. 

"Good night and I'll see you tomorrow morning for our meeting," Feyre said after the banquet had winded down and she and her sister decided to retire for the night.

Nashira waited a few minutes after they left before walking towards the chambers designated for the Night Court denizens in the Palace. She reached the hall before she climbed out a window to go sit on the roofs of their chambers. She wasn't guarding their visitors for trouble but protecting them if any trouble showed. 

"I have it covered, you can go rest with your mate Nashira."

Nashira didn't jump at the Shadowsinger's sudden presence since even if he had just found his mate, he wouldn't be distracted from protecting his High Lady.

"I'm doing this because I want to, Azriel."

Again it was like the night for the High Lord's meeting, but he had changed since then. He no longer pinned for a female that didn't love him back the way he wanted not when he met his equal, his mate.

"I will tell you a little about Samila because she is my best friend and I never want her to get hurt like before."

The Shadowsinger inhaled sharply but nodded for her to continue what she had to say. Nashira collected her thoughts and spoke.

"Samila has been in a court full of judgemental fae since her birth and she was determined to be liked by them because, well, that's Samila. But she soon equated her worth to having a male's approval to the point she chose them over herself. Helion had to intervene at one point and I won't tell you why that's something she has to tell you, but she had to search for herself afterwards. She became the bubbly person she is today, so nonchalant and breezy because she came back from searching to have found a better version of herself. From the rumours, I've heard and information I've collected, she is very similar to the Morrigan you have loved for centuries now."

He whipped his head in her direction at her statement but she was already staring at him, to try and see until the depths of his soul past those infernal shadows surrounding him.

"But she is nothing like the Morrigan so don't think of her as a replacement for your unrequited love or as the same individual like her. Esmea-Antar, the grand female's college you've heard about was her idea. The system of reusing our resources for everything and anything they can be was her proposal in the face of years of drought and famine for our people. She isn't the warrior that the Morrigan is, she is a dreamer much like your High Lord was and you had better treat her that way. So, understand your own feelings and the distinction between the two before you even think of bringing Samila to your court, got it?"

The Shadowsinger remained silent and Nashira let her words have more time to sink into him. She made no real promises of violence since she had seen the look of adoration on his face when he was with Samila, but she couldn't risk him unconsciously mixing up her cute friend with the blond fae he had been in love with for so long. He finally spoke minutes after, but it wasn't what she expected him to respond with.

"I found the family of your maid Wilda and it turns out they were in Velaris."

Nashira was stunned and suddenly fearful. Did she wish to meet the family members of the female who died in front of her eyes as a child, or did she want to let this chance go to let them know where their beloved was buried?

"They would like to meet you, would you be willing to visit Velaris?"

She hesitated.

"I am sure she would want you to see her home," he reassured her softly.

"Can I bring my mate?" she blurted out without thinking for once.

"That's a given isn't it, I bet Madja would love to compare healing techniques with him."

Nashira stood up and took a long glance at the sky, thinking about the plan Helion was hatching that might bring her to their court anyways. She smiled.

"I'll come for sure."