Thirty-nine

"Please."

"No."

"Please."

"No."

"Please Nashira!"

"No."

Nashira didn't even glance at Samila as she refused to go with her for a day of shopping when there was work to be done in the city. 

"You have nothing to wear to the High Lord meeting and you know it and since I'm not going you have to look hot for the both of us" she pleaded. Nashira raised her hands in the air in exasperation but stayed silent for a moment. With a huge sigh of air, she glumly nodded to go shopping. Samila squealed in happiness while grabbing her and winnowing to the shopping district in Ortus. 

"This is going to be soo much fun, I haven't had time with you at all since your mate keeps stealing you away from me."

"You know I go along willingly."

"That's beside the point" she waved. She stared a while at one window front and Nashira glanced over to what it was. They advertised giving haircuts for free for donating to girls who couldn't or who didn't have hair. Nashira didn't hesitate to drag Samila over to the shop.

"What are you doing? Your hair is your feminine pride and joy, you can't cut it!" she exclaimed as she dug her heels into the dirt.

"I know you've been wanting to cut your hair since we've left Under the Mountain Samila. I don't know why, but I know it only holds bad memories for you now."

Samila looked down at her feet before looking back up at Nashira.

"I wore it down every night to her wretched parties along with skimpy clothes to seem like I was a spoiled brat who was the cousin of the High Lord of the day court. I wore the mask, lived it so much so, that whenever I see the tendrils falling over my shoulders, I feel like vomiting for the things I said and did then."

Nashira realized she hadn't seen Samila with her hair down in all the months after Under the Mountain and even now she had it tied up.

"Then all the more reason to chop it all off, new hair for the new, real you."

Samila nodded and broke out into an excited grin, "I want it shorter than my finger!" She was like an excited child when they were given their pick of sweets. 

Nashira stood there the time leaning against the wall while Samila talked the ears of the female who was cutting her hair. The female thanked them before collecting all the hair as they walked out back onto the streets.

They shopped for while more and Nashira was glad she'd conceded to the trip because she got to interact with the people of the city more. She heard their stories and also what they were doing to get past the horrors they had faced these last few decades. One male set up a care service for the children while their parents worked or helped rebuild. He was a trustworthy male and he had other fae helping him care and teach the children. Finally, Samila found a robe in a deep cobalt blue that would make Nashira's eyes pop and with a promise to let her help prepare her for the meeting, they parted.

Nashira winnowed back to her home in the oasis as it was already evening and discovered an exhaust Kaimuzu on their bed.

"How many cases did you see to today?" 

Kaimuzu had been healing the faeries who had been stuck in the camps after, Under the Moutain and even months after, people had injuries that still was in the process of healing because of how severe they were. 

"Twelve along with my usual patients, so twenty-four," he grumbled. Nashira smiled in amusement as she set her shopping bag down and went to straddle Kaimuzu's back to massage his back.

"We're you just trying to wear yourself out before I leave tomorrow for the meeting?"

He grunted but didn't dismiss her assumption and she chuckled.

"It will only be few days at the most and I'm sure I can slip out at night to come here at least once when I'm not on shift to watch Helion in the evening."

Before she could say anything else Kaimuzu flipped over onto his back and held her thighs against his sides. 

"But that's too long, I like having you around," he pouted. Nashira leaned down and bit his nose lightly because his face was too cute for her.

"Hey, why'd you go and do that?"

"You looked cute."

"I'm not cute, I'm male perfection made just for you and it would be a waste if you left me alone," he smirked.

Nashira nipped his ear this time, "then I'll make it up when I get back."

"I'll make sure you do."

He smiled that smile that always disarmed her and she went to lay across his chest as she continued to straddle him. 

"Is it wrong for me to be scared?"

"With Hybern on the move again and the possibility that I might have to fight in a war again I'd say that's reasonable" she whispered. His arms went around her and held her close.

"I'm scared that you'll get hurt again. I didn't love you as I do now and it would kill me to see you pale and losing blood right in front of me."

Nashira couldn't say anything because she couldn't not go to war as she was a Scorpion and that was what she did. She didn't like the haunted look in his eyes so she gave him a small peck on his cheeks, then his eyelids and a final one on his lips.

"I promise that if I'm able to, I'll ask Shala to take care of any wounds I get so you don't have nightmares." 

He hugged her closer, "I'd rather do it myself," he murmured and kissed her again.