CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT ; JONATHAN AND NANCY

★☆

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT ; JONATHAN AND NANCYalso known as;( the mind flayer; part one )

also known as;
( the mind flayer; part one )

★☆

"ARE WE THERE YET?" MAX GRUMBLED, KICKING A STONE AS SHE TRAILED BEHIND THE GROUP.  A chorus of 'no's rippled through the rest of them, and the redhead groaned, throwing her head back. She was worn out, not having expected at the beginning of the day that she would be trudging across the length of Hawkins with a bunch of acquaintances who planned to hunt down a bunch of monsters. "Seriously? We've been walking for ages."

"Ten more minutes, tops," Stella sighed, growing exasperated as well. Every part of her body was aching, and she just wanted to cuddle her dog and go to sleep. But, there were bigger problems to focus other than her own wellbeing, which was why she didn't object to the long, gruelling hike to the Hawkins Laboratory. 

She was thankful for Steve, as he had an arm around her shoulder to support her, recognising how pained and tired she had become. Though Dustin and Lucas wanted to mention the action, neither of them did (Lucas did send his friend a disgusted expression at one point), as they understood there was a time and place to make fun of the older teenagers, and it wasn't then. 

"Are those lights?" Steve asked, squinting towards a break in the trees, and Stella straightened up slightly, taking her weight off the the boy beside her and quickening her pace on her weak legs. "Star, slow down."

"What if it's someone that can help us?" She inquired urgently, though her grip did tighten on her yellow mallet. 

"What if it's someone else?" Dustin hissed, and Stella held her bandaged hand up. 

"Stay back here then," she whispered back, but wasn't surprised when he, nor anyone else didn't bother listening. 

"Hello?" A rough, somewhat familiar voice yelled, causing Stella and Steve to exchange a glance, before hurrying forward through the rustling trees and bush. "Who's there? Who's there?!"

 Steve took the lead, shining his bright light into the faces of Nancy Wheeler and Jonathan Byers, of all people. 

"Steve?" their jaws dropped in disbelief once the teenage boy lowered his flashlight. Stella and Dustin stepped up beside him with wide eyes, Lucas and Max in tow. What on earth were they doing at the laboratory as well? And what were they doing together?

"Nancy?" Steve asked with furrowed eyebrows, beginning to walk down the small hill that separated all of them. 

"Jonathan," Dustin spluttered in confusion as their group followed Steve until they stood opposite the two Juniors. 

"What are you doing here?" Nancy snapped furiously in Steve's direction, who tensed slightly and glanced down at Stella, who didn't really know what to say.