Pressed for the Truth

No way. What...what is Lieutenant Jacobs doing here?

"Sir...?" I breathe, my arms loosening so that I slide to the ground, but I'm happy to say that Seaton's arms are still wrapped slackly around me. My arms are trapped between our chests.

But I can't really think about that right now. Because Jacobs is in Seaton's apartment, and he could tell Seaton about my... drug dealing. In fact, he practically already has. I blink slowly as Jacobs raises an eyebrow.

"I know you're bent and all, but he's a minor, Sea," Jacobs says, his smile falling to a frown. Seaton's hands drop to his sides and he scowls.

"Shut the fuck up, idiot," Seaton snaps. "How do you know the brat?"

"Ha!" Jacobs laughs, "'The brat'? Sea, that's cold!"

"Tell me how you know Jayden," Seaton repeated. I just stand there, staring at the cop. I still have no idea what he's doing in Seaton's apartment.

"Picked him up at the end of Christmas break," Jacobs replies, shrugging, "Selling drugs in an Alley."

Seaton's eyes narrow and he looks at me. I flush, feeling sweat sprout from my pores suddenly. I duck my head nervously and avoid eye contact. Damn it. Thanks a lot, Mr. Rat. There should be something called Cop/Criminal Confidentiality. Fucker.

"You sold drugs, brat?" Seaton snarls and I wince. I knew he would hate me for it. Suddenly, he blinks and nods, "I get it. Your old man, again, eh?"

I stay silent. He already knows the answer.

"I let him off easy," Jacobs continues, leaning against the wall and crossing his arms, "I saw his name and it was that kid you wouldn't shut the fuck up about."

Seaton talks about me? My chest suddenly feels very warm and my face feels like a heating blanket's wrapped around it.

"Well, yeah, you heard what I told you, and now I guess the jig is up," Seaton says, sighing. Jacobs brow furrows.

"What're you talking about?" the police officer demands.

"I mean, I'm not going to sit back any longer and let – let this," He waves his hand at my bruised and ripped appearance. "happen anymore. I'll just have to go somewhere else."

"Man, do you know how hard it was for me to get you a new license and social security number!?" Jacobs asks loudly, getting angry. What in the world...?

What 'jig' is up? How did Jacobs know about...me? Did...Did Seaton tell him? No, he's a cop. Seaton swore he wouldn't tell the police. How do they know each other anyhow?

"Well, I'm sure you can get me another," Seaton sneers back at him, "Look – I don't care if my father finds me. I'm an adult. Jayden isn't. So go do your job and press charges against his fucker of a dad -"

What!? "No!"

Both adults look at me. I – I feel almost hurt. Seaton told a cop about what's been happening to me? He promised. It's not that bad, what Alfred's doing –but he knew – no! I don't know that! That isn't the point. I'm not going to allow this to happen. I'm not going to –to a trial. No fucking way. Never. They can't make me. Well, I suppose they could subpoena me but –stop it. It's not going to happen!

"You – no," I shake my head and step away, "I – you – him – I don't understand."

"Brat, it isn't important compared to what's happening to you, but Marlin and I used to work together," Seaton sighs, running a hand through his dark hair. Jacobs frowned deeply.