Life and Death

Pain exploded in my shoulder suddenly as my body got rid of the shock. The waves of sharp agony made it to my brain. I'm not sure how wide my eyes are, but I'm assuming huge because their starting to dry out and I feel warm liquid seeping from the wound in the back of my shoulder and down my side.

Charlie looks sufficiently terrified. I've got tell him – he's got to know –

"Ch-Charlie," I gasp, and I'm falling to my knees. Vaguely I hear Jacobs talking into a walky talky about a bus, but I keep going. I look up at him, "I...I-I'm sorry, Charlie...I'm so sorry, I –

"...Kiddo..." He breathes.

And then it hurts too much to talk and I fall forward, at his feet. Charlie is frozen there above me and I hear Jacobs run over and order May to arrest Charlie. The woman stutters an apology that sounds so far away. Who shot me? Charlie? Jacobs? May?

"Jayden," Jacobs turns me over, "Jayden...okay?...bus...soon..."

He looks fuzzy and –oh god it hurts!

Jacobs look over at May, who's leading Charlie out the door and says more, "May....Seaton... out of it..."

The only part I really hear is Seaton. Oh god, he's going to hate me for this. He'll hate me. No. It hurts. He'll hate me. Hurts. Hate me. It –It-

"...Sea...ton...?" I manage to choke out.

Then I shudder one more time before my vision swirls into nothingness.

-

I see something – no, someone – everything's blurry and bright. I'm moving –

"...stop...bleeding!"

And once again everything fades.

-

My shoulder hurts, and once again something come into view. Lots of people though, in weird blue masks... They look sort of like Martians. Now I know I'm dreaming.

"...bullet...cop...man...not...loosing..."

I'm moving still, I realize, but not the same as before. I think I'm on a bed.

"He's awake...Ja...hear us...?"

Who are they? What the fuck do they want? Don't they know how tired I'm am?

"...use....operate..."

I feel a pinch on the underside of my elbow and the darkness swallows me again.

-

Beep...beep...beep...beep...

"...looks good....wake.... that man...Okay?"

Beep...beep...beep...beep...

-

Beep...beep...beep...beep...

That sound is so fucking annoying. Is it, like, a bomb or something? But wait, why would there be a bomb here? Charlie isn't a terrorist, and even though Jacobs is an ass doesn't mean they'd...

Beep...beep...beep...beep...

I want it to stop. Damn it... hospitals suck.

"Ngh..." I choke out. My eyes are heavy. I manage to unbolt them, dragging them open millimeter by millimeter until they're wide open. For some reason, I'm too tired to move my neck to look around. "S...Seaton...?"

Before I can get a response, a wave of tiredness passes over me and once again I'm sleeping, sunk into blissful blackness and the irritating beep, beep, beep...