Clarity

Corin took the liberty to buy me an outfit with the two fucking thousand dollars he gave me, so that I'd have something to wear. It's too expensive. He got me some beige jacket that costs 200 dollars, some kind of soft, warm shirt that I know had to be at least fifty dollars, really nice jeans that have some weird brand name on them, underwear (embarrassing), socks, and shoes that were probably a couple hundred dollars too.

Wonderful.

But I was too tired to protest, now anyway, and didn't want to wait any longer to get out of the paper dress. I walk to the bathroom, take a shower, brush my teeth, put on the new clothes, and take a look at myself. What size are these? They –I'm mean they're good, and they fit but, I mean... I look so weird.

I walk out, looking at the ground.

Linda whistles, "You look so cute, Jay."

I stay silent and I sit on the bed. The nurse would be in soon with a bloody wheelchair. I haven't ever needed a wheelchair in my life, not even when I had a broken ankle. Why did I need one now, when the injury wasn't even on the lower part of my body? Idiots.

Seaton's getting his car downstairs and then he's going to take me to where I'll be staying. With him. We'll be going to an apartment, he said somewhere on the north side, and – did I mention – with him? I'm going to live with Seaton. Seaton. Seaton. Seaton. I am pretty sure I'm deliriously happy, even though my shoulder hurts like hell. Damn, I need another happy pill.

"Here we are, birthday boy!" The preppy blond nurse came in with a wheelchair. Which, I was reluctantly got into. God, still going on about my freaking birthday...

I sit in the chair, putting the expensive shoes that enclose my feet on the footrests. The ride down the hall, in the elevator, and out to the front is silent and uneventful. One of the wheels on the wheelchair is squeaky and grating on my nerves. Luckily, Seaton's waiting at the front, along with many other family members of other patients. He's sitting there, cigarette peeking out of his lips, leaning against his orange Ford.

"Brat," He snorts, handing his cigarette to Linda, who narrows her eyes.

"What the hell, Seaton? Can't you stomp on your own cancer stick?" Linda asks, putting her hands on her hips.

"Put it out and throw it away, Blondie," Seaton rolls his eyes, "I'm helping Jayden into the seat."

"I don't need –" I protest.

"Oh, shut up, brat," Seaton snaps, "You know by now there's no use in arguing with me."

I frown and wait as Seaton takes hold of my wrist, wraps my arm around his neck, hoists me from the chair. Corin opens the door and Seaton helps me into the seat. After I buckle up, Seaton shuts the door.

"Bye, Jay!" Linda shouts, and Corin winks and nods. Suki just blows a kiss and Mr. Spencer just smiles and puts his hand up to his ear in the 'rock on' hand shape and mouths "Call me".

Seaton pulls away, out of the circular hospital driveway and onto the road. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say. Have I already expressed how damn happy I am to be out of the hospital, to be going to live with Seaton? Yesterday, I had to sign some papers for my 'emancipation'. Very long and complicated shit.

"We're stopping by a CVS to drop off your prescription," Seaton informs me, both hands on the steering wheel and his eyes trained ahead, "Then we'll pick you up something to eat, god knows what they put in that crap at the hospital."

"Yes, Seaton," I reply quietly.

"Any preferences on the food place?"

"No."