Chapter Two: I Understand

"Rory, time to get up." I groan and tossed and turned until I fell off my bed and onto the rough carpet. "I don't want to go." I mumbled. "It's either you go to school or you spend the whole day with your father." Greg continued to tie his tie, but groaned in frustration when it didn't turn out. I thought how the tie should look. "*sigh* Thanks kid." I smiled and rubbed my eyes. I was about to start going through my drawers for clothes. "I already picked out your outfit, it's on your bed." I pushed my drawer closed and walked over to my bed. "I'm not wearing overalls, where did you even get these!?" "I found them at a resale shop." I walked back to my drawer and picked out black jeans and a red baggy sweater. "This is better, now out." I pointed to the door. "Right." He sighed and walked out, so I could get dressed.

***

As I walked out of the car Greg tugged on my sleeve. "From now on after school go to the arcade I'll pick you up after 4:45." "Okay." He let go of my sleeve. "Have a good day at school." "Bye." "Bye." I exited the car and walked to the entrance of the school building, "Excuse me?" A girl with blond hair walked up to me. "Hello?" "I'm new here and you look really pretty and nice so I thought you would be kind enough to show me around?" I smiled. "Of course, here let me see your schedule." She handed me here schedule. "Okay we have three classes together, English, Math and Science." She smiled, "Cool, I'm Ava by the way." "Rory." The bell rang, which made her jump. "Haha chill It's just the bell, let get to your first hour class." "What about you?" She asked concerned. "I can just tell the principal that I was helping you, or I can run." "Run." She added a little too quickly. "Um okay." "No, I mean run, what is that!?" She screamed and pointed to an all too familiar red thunder cloud quickly forming in the sky. I groaned the teachers were getting kids inside. "Ava go with the other kids and teachers!" "What about you!?" She yelled over the wind. "I'll be fine now go!" She ran when no one else was in site. "Dad no." "What I just want to tell my little demon to have a good day at school." He cooded. "I'm not sure that's what you're doing." "Prove it." "First of all you're here, Second of all Oliver is running loose along with his brothers and sisters, and it's eight thirty." He sighed. "Fine but keep Oliver with you he's been going crazy." I sighed, "Fine but only because they might close that school for the day." "Well that's good then you can introduce me to you little friends behind you." I slowly turned around, and sure enough there they were, open mouthed in shock staring at my "dad". "It's rude to stare you know." "Dad." I groaned. "Alright fine, but open a gate for me would you?" I groaned again. "Fine." Oliver can over by me and sat down. I turned back to the six kids. "Move please." They all moved off to the side except one boy, I think his name was Will. "Will?" I walked up to him and shook him like a snow globe. "Wake up!" "Mind Flayer." Was all he said, I walked him over to his friends. I walked back to the side of the school, I lifted my left arm up and pulled the sleeve back. "012!?" "Yes?" "How long have you had that?" "Long as I can remember, now shut up I have to focus." The boy with the black hair went quiet. "Demidogs and soldiers first." I said as I opened the gate, 48 soldiers and 237 demidogs walk through the gate. "Your turn." I widened the gate as my "dad" passed through. I sighed and sat down on the ground while Oliver started to prance around me shrieking. "Now I can see what dad meant by 'going a little crazy'." I said as I rubbed his slimy head. "Eww." I pulled my hand back. "Ahem, excuse me, but WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?" I stood up and whipped my hand on my pants. "My name is Anna Ives, I'm originally from Hawkins Lab but I escaped by opening a small gate and crawling through it." I looked at their open mouthed faces. "Haha wow people will believe anything you tell them." I laughed and ran my finger through my hair, "Come on Oliver, let's go to the arcade." I pressed my fingers on the third petal like thing on his head, and he turned into a border collie. "Wait! What is your actual name!?" I smiled at the black haired boy. "First tell me your names, then I might tell you mine." "How do we know we can trust you." I smiled. "Do you want to meet my dad?" He nodded his head. "Yeah." I was shocked, I turned to Oliver. "Are they seriously that denice?" I chuckled. He barked. "Okay, well what was that name that Will called him?" "Mind Flayer!?" I snapped my fingers. "That's it!" "Your father is the shadow monster!?" "No you just figured that out!?" I threw my arms up sarcastically. "Welp I'm leaving this is getting out of hand!" A redheaded girl ran up to me and turned me around. "Stop! You can just leave like that!" I scoffed. "Watch me." I continued to walk, but she turned me around again. "What is your problem with us!?" I clenched my jaw. "Max that's enough." "Lucas, she could help him." I crossed my arms. "Will?" He looked over at me. "The is no way I can help, you don't even trust me, let alone like me!" Oliver started to bark. "Not now Oliver." I growled at him, like a dog and he started to whimper and roll over onto his back. "Good boy, now back to you six, why do you care so much about what I can do! I may be the only person besides a old friend of mine, that can do stuff like this!" I started to get mad at them, then a girl brown hair and hair reaching down to her shoulders walked up to me and wrapped her arms around me. "What are you doing?" "Hugging you, you're frustrated but I understand." "First what is hugging and second how do you "understand"?" She smiled and looked at the boy with the black hair. "Mike helped me understand what a 'relationship' is, and I know what you're going through, I'm Eleven." My eyes widened, she hugged me again, I wrapped my arms around her. "Like this?" "Softer." She strained out. "S-sorry." I started to cry with big black circle forming around my eyes with red veins popping out. "W-w-whoa that's disgusting!" "Dustin!" Mike and the guys started to yell at each other, while Eleven and the redheaded girl came up to me. "What are you sorry for? Your eyes? Why would you be sad about your eyes they're so cool." I rubbed my eyes as the black circle and red veins started to fade away. "No I know it's cool, I'm sorry I couldn't protect him." I pointed at Will arguing and holding back Lucas from punching Mike, but stopped and let Lucas fall when I pointed at him. "W-what about me?" I couldn't talk, I looked away. "Max?" "She sad, 'cause she said she couldn't protect you." He looked back at me, I stood up and dusted myself off, the bell rang and teacher and students came out. "I have to go." I whipped my eyes. "Are you sure you're okay." I sighed. "Yeah, I'm fine."

***

"Come on, come on!" It's been a week after the whole meeting my 'dad' fiasco, the guys decided that we should all go to the arcade, I was currently encouraging Will who was playing Keystone Kapers, It's a game where someone escaped from mall jail and is now running around in the mall and you have to catch them before time runs out. "I know I'm trying!" Then he dies, "Oh come on! You had one job!" He laughed at my failed attempt at humor. "What time is it?" I asked looking around for a clock. "Five thirty-three." "Greg should have picked me up by now." "Same with my mom." "I can walk you home." I suggested. He laughed and then smiled. "How about I walk you home?" "Do you know where I live?" He was about to say something when both of our rides had came in. "Where were you two, we were about to discuss who was walking who home." I laughed. "I was gonna walk him home." "No! I was gonna walk you!" "No, no, I specifically remember I was gonna walk you home." I smiled. "Well you two can talk about that some other time, right now Rory has to come home and do her homework." "Actually I was wondering if I could go to my new friends house, to study." "Boy!?" "Girl." "Okay." "Really!?" I was shocked usually he would say something like 'No you're doing at home now get in the car.' or 'I need to keep an eye on you, now let's go.' "Yeah, now be back by eight forty and if I'm not home yet lock all the windows and doors, close the shades, and don't answer the door for anybody." "So basically the usual?" "Yeah." He smacked his lips. "Okay well, I have some work to do at the office, so you two get home safe, be careful Rory." I smiled gently at him, "Thanks! Da-." I quickly slapped my hands over my mouth. "What?" "Nothing!" I said quickly. "It's okay Rory." I sighed and hugged him. "Okay, well I WILL see you later." "You are the worst." Will flatly remarked. I chuckled and messed up his hair. "See you later, Byers." I walked out of the arcade, and ran into the forest.