Guided by His Eyes

Psalms 32:1-11; 33:1-22

Many times when  Christians fails to follow God's moral laws in life, they rationalize the error in order to appease their troubled conscience.  Some of their excuses shift the blame to others:  others make more mistakes than I do; at least I didn't murder someone; they were will ing subjects so they are to blame also; I was not feeling my best, so I cannot be blamed; what I did does not compare to so-and-so; many people have at least one affair in their lifetime; or the obvious, How did I know it was wrong?  All these excuses are what one person calls, "the skin of a reason stuffed with a lie".
         In 2 Samuel 11 we find David had sinned against Bethsheba but he kept silent about it.  In order to cover up for it, he had her husband placed in the heat of battle so he would be killed.  When God confronted him with the issue, his wife Bethsheba was already pregnant from the affair.  Nathan, the prophet, revealed God's attitude toward David's sin.  Finally David felt the remorse of his sin.  He confessed his sin to God.  The worst sin is forgiven when we sincerely regret our actions and confess to God the error we feel from our sin.  Then we must turn from that sin and let God wash us clean.  Never repeat a sin again!  God sees all and judges all!
         David felt the relief of God on his act of sin.  God washed over him as a clear fountain of spring water.  So his first words reflect this forgiveness he felt in Psalm 32:1-2-(NKJV)-:
    1. "Happy is the person whose sins are FORGIVEN," (Psalms 85:2; 103:3)
    2. "Whose wrongs are PARDONED." (Psalm 1:1)
    3. "Happy is the person whom the Lord does NOT CONSIDER GUILTY." (2 Corinthians 5:19)
    4. "And in whom there is NOTHING FALSE." (John 1:47)
Four words of the value of atonement are: FORGIVEN; PARDONED; NOT GUILTY; AND NOTHING FALSE!  It is the same for us today.  He has wiped the slate clean and no accusations or guilt is left behind.  We are free of guilt but not free to return to our Sin! 
         David told the story of his agony before he confessed his sin to God in Psalm 32:3-5-(TEV)-"When I did not confess my sins I was worn out from crying all day long.  Day and night You punished me, Lord; my strength was completely drained, as moisture is dried up by summer heat."  (Psalm 38:1, 6-8)
         His reprieve came as he spoke to God,:
    1. "Then I confessed my sins to You;" (2 Samuel 12:13-20)
    2. "I did not conceal my wrongdoings." (Proverbs 28:13)
    3. "I decided to confess them to You, and You forgave all my transgressions."  (Hallelujah!  God forgives when we confess our guilt.  Praise His Name!  The PRAISE & WORSHIP BEGINS!
         David gives us advice as an authority on the subject of forgiven sins.  "That's why all the faithful should pray to You during troubled times, so that the flood of water won't reach them."  (Isaiah 55:6)
         Then David addressed God directly:
    1. "You are my secret hide-out!"
    2. "You protect me from trouble."
    3. "You surround me with SONG OF RESCUE!"  (Psalm 9:9; Exodus 15:1)
          Next God speaks to David, stern but loving words of correction and good advice:
"I will instruct you (says the Lord) and guide you along the best pathway for your life; I will advise you and watch your progress.  Don't be like a senseless horse or mule that has to have a bit in its mouth to keep it in line!" (Don't be a dumb animal!  Psalm 26:3 was David's new attitude.)
         David, with a new wisdom, gives a contrast of the wicked and the forgiven in Psalm 32:10-11-(NKJV)-:
    1. "Many sorrows shall be to the wicked." (Romans 2:9)
    2. "BUT HE WHO TRUSTS IN THE LORD, MERCY SHALL SURROUND HIM." (Proverbs 16:20)
    3. "BE GLAD IN THE LORD, YOU RIGHTEOUS; AND SHOUT FOR JOY, ALL YOU UPRIGHT IN HEART!"
(David bursts into PRAISE & WORSHIP as he closed this chapter of his writing;  Psalms 64:10;  68:3; 97:12). Here it is PRAISE & WORSHIP!  FOR GOD ALONE IS WORTHY OF OUR PRAISE! 
         David began Psalm 33 with the same praise and joy he sings a new song which includes five points: 1. Celebration; 2. Creation; 3. Respect; 4. National or Communal; and 5. Praise.  Basically his new song is Praise to God for creation, sins forgiven, and safety.  The answer becomes a new song of relief over our grief and problems. 
So David said in Psalm 33:1-7-(NKJV)-:                               1. Celebration
   a. "REJOICE in the Lord, O you Righteous!  For Praise from the upright is BEAUTIFUL."  Psalms 1:2; 97:12)
    b. "Praise the Lord with the harp; make melody to Him with an instrument of ten strings." (Psalm 98:5)
     c. "Sing to Him a NEW SONG;" (Psalm 150)
     d. "Play skillfully with a shout of JOY." (Psalm 148:13-14)
2. Creation
   a. "For the WORD OF THE LORD IS RIGHT,"
   b. "And ALL HIS WORK IS DONE IN TRUTH."
   c. "HE LOVES RIGHTEOUSNESS and JUSTICE;"
   d. "The EARTH IS FULL OF THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD." (Psalm 98:2-3; Hebrews 11:3)
   e. "BY THE WORD OF THE LORD THE HEAVENS WERE MADE." (Genesis 2:1)
   g. "And ALL THE HOSTS OF THEM BY THE BREATH OF HIS MOUTH." (Job 26:13)
   h. "HE GATHERS THE WATERS OF THE SEA TOGETHER AS A HEAP;" (Psalms 24:2; 93:3-4)
    i. "HE LAYS UP THE DEEP IN STOREHOUSES." (Job 26:10; 38:8; Genesis 1:6-10; Proverbs 8:28-29)

What an outstanding accomplishment!  Beyond out capabilities!  So who is God that we should worship Him!  The  God of the Universe, the Creator of heaven and earth!  GOD ALMIGHTY IS HIS NAME ! 
         As we enter next section of Psalm 33:8-12 David was concerned about how we give God the Honor due Him:

3. Respect; so David tells us to:
   a. "Fear the Lord, all the earth!  Fear Him all peoples of the world!" (Remember fear is reverence and awe of HIS Greatness-which creates trust in Him; Psalm 40:3)
    b. "When HE SPOKE the world was created; at HIS COMMANDMENT everything appeared."  (Genesis 1:3-and God said, "let there be...")
4. National or community:
   a. "The Lord frustrates the purposes of nations;" (Isaiah 8:10)
   b. "He keeps them from carrying out their plans." (Isaiah 19:3)
   c. "But His plans endure forever,"
   d. "His purposes last eternally." (Job 23:13)
   e. "HAPPY IS THE NATION WHOSE GOD IS THE LORD;" (Amen!  As a nation we need to pay attention to this!)
   f. "HAPPY ARE THE PEOPLE HE HAS CHOSEN FOR HIS OWN INHERITANCE!" (Exodus 19:5-6)

         We continue on in Psalm 33:13-19-(CEB)

5. Personal and National:
   a. "The LORD LOOKS DOWN FROM HEAVEN;" (with concern and love)
   b. "HE SEES EVERY HUMAN BEING." (Job 28:24)
   c. "From HIS DWELLING PLACE GOD OBSERVES ALL WHO LIVE ON EARTH."
   d."GOD IS THE ONE WHO MADE ALL THEIR HEART,"
   e."THE ONE WHO KNOWS EVERYTHING WE DO." (Jeremiah 32:19)
   f. "Kings aren't saved by the strength of their armies;"
   g. "Warriors aren't rescued by how much power they have." (Psalms 44:6-7; 60:11-12)
   h. "A warhorse is a bad bet for victory; it can't save despite its great strength." (Proverbs21:3)
6. Praise:
   a. "BUT LOOK HERE: THE LORD'S EYES WATCH ALL WHO HONOR HIM," (He is carefully watching.  Only God can see all over the earth, on all sides, into every man's heart and life, at one time and not miss any move or action.)
   b. "ALL WHO WAIT FOR HIS FAITHFUL LOVE," (Job36:7; Psalm 147:11)
   c. "TO DELIVER THEIR LIVES FROM DEATH AND TO KEEP THEM ALIVE IN FAMINE." (Job 5:20; He has His eye on you out of love and care.  You are never alone!)
     David's PRAISE continued to the end as Psalm 33:20-22 reveals-(TLB)-
   d. "WE DEPEND UPON THE LORD ALONE TO SAVE US."
   e. "ONLY HE CAN HELP US.  HE PROTECTS US LIKE A CHILD." (Psalm 40:1)
    f. "NO WONDER WE ARE HAPPY IN THE LORD!"
      (1) "FOR WE ARE TRUSTING HIM."
      (2) "WE TRUST IN HIS HOLY NAME."
    g. " YES LORD, LET YOUR CONSTANT LOVE SURROUND US," (Yes, Lord=Amen to God's Love and mercy)
      (1) "FOR OUR HOPES ARE IN YOU ALONE."

PRAISE AND WORSHIP TO HIM AS HE IS OUR ALL IN ALL! 
OUR HOPE IS IN YOU, LORD, IN YOU LORD, IN YOU!

         Next time...