Refuge

Psalms 46:1-11; 48:1-14

Martin Luther sang, "A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD."  Although few churches sing this song today, the truth of it has never failed.  The 46th Psalm and the hymn were both based on the battle cry of the Christians in the time of Isaiah's prophecies, the defeat of Sennacharib, and the revival under King Hezekiah.  David found the same relief in the message of these words.  "He is our Father and we can come to Him; He is our Refuge and we can run to Him; He is our God and we can trust in Him...He gives us security in His PROMISES; He gives us safety from hell; He gives us resurrection power; He promises rewards for Faithfulness; He gives new life in Him, exceeding the face of death; He has a future plan for us that is everlasting; and we are safe in His control.  TRUST HIM!-(EGA RENDITION)"
         I could go on and never end relating His care for us, but I will stop and follow the sons of Koran in their musical rendition of this struggle.  Psalm 46:1-3-(TLB)-"God is our Refuge and Strength in time of trouble."  (Deuteronomy 4:7; Psalm 62:7-8)
"And so we need not fear even if the world blows up and the mountains crumble into the sea."
(Remember God is our Refuge-Hiding Place-Security Spot.)
"Let the oceans roar and foam and the mountains tremble!" (But God is our Help!")
         So the Psalmists continued to exclaim aloud, in Psalm 46:4-7-(TEV)-:
    1. "There is a river that brings joy to the city of God, to the Sacred House of the Most High."
(Psalm 93:3-4; Ezekiel 47:1-12)
    2. "God lives in this city, and it will never be destroyed; at early dawn He will come to its help," (Zephaniah 3:15)
    3. "Nations are terrified, kingdoms are shaken; God roars out, and the earth dissolves."
(Psalm 2:1-8)
    4."The Lord ALMIGHTY is with us; The God of Jacob is our Refuge!" (Numbers 14:9; Psalms 9:9; 48:3)
For encouragement we have the fruits in our lives through Christ!  (Read John 15:5-6-"He is the Vine and we are the branches..."; Colossians1:27-"The hope of glory..."; Hebrews 13:1-angel visits; Psalm 46:5-7-just read)
        Now we are invited to "COME AND SEE...". WHAT?  Psalm 46:8-9-(NCV)-"COME AND SEE WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE, THE AMAZING THINGS HE HAS DONE ON EARTH." (Psalm 1:3, 6) :
    1. "He stops wars everywhere on the earth."
    2. "He breaks all bows and spears."
    3. "And burns up the chariots with fire."
(Read: what Jesus said-Matthew 24:6; our Protector-John 14:1-4; Peace-14:27; No war-Isaiah 2:4; Enemy defeated-Psalm 76:3; Coming Victory-Ezekiel 39:9)
         He gives us careful instructions on God's Supreme Power over the earth in Psalm 46:10-11-(CEB)-"That's enough!  Now know that I am God!  I am exalted among all nations; I am exalted throughout the world!"  (TLB)-"Stand still!  Know that I am God!  I will be honored by every nation in the world!"  (NKJV)-"Be still and know that I am God!"  Any  Questions???
(Read Isaiah 2:11, 17; Habakuk 2:20; Zephaniah 1:7; Zechariah 2:13)
         No wonder the Psalmists ended this chapter with, (CEB)-"THE LORD OF HEAVENLY FORCES IS WITH US!  THE GOD OF JACOB IS OUR PLACE OF SAFETY."  Amen and amen!
(NKJV-1 Corinthians 3:6-9-God is in charge and we are His fellow workers, field and building.)
        Let's consider Psalm 48 here as it relates to the songs of Zion by the sons of Kroah.  They were offering Praise to God.  The senses of man are strong in this chapter.   As we read each section, we will pick up on them.  Sight, Feelings, Hearing, Walking, Talking, Thinking and Telling are all involved!   God created us with Senses to enjoy, Senses of warning, and Senses of Reactions. 
         So Psalm 48:1-3-(NKJV)-begins with, "Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised..." (Psalms 7:17; 21:5; remember 46:4-5; 95:3; 145:3; 147:5)
"In the City of our God, in His Holy Mountain." (Psalms 87:3; 77:13; 96:4)
"Beautiful in elevation, the Joy of the whole earth," (Psalms 117:1-2; 50:2)
"Is Mount Zion on the sides of the north," (1 Kings 14:21)
"The City of the Great King." (Nehemiah 1:3-5; Matthew 5:33-35)
"God is in her palaces; He is known as her Refuge." (Psalm 18:47; God has made Himself a High Tower of our Defense)
In theses verses we are reminded of the senses involved: Sight in verse 2,; Sound of audible praise in verse 1; a Feeling of Joy in verse 2; and a Refuge against Feelings of Fear in verse 3.  God understands and responds to these senses!  We need to be responsible to our senses and use them to His Honor and Glory as we submit them to Him. 
         Psalm 48:4-7-(CEB)-"Look," (Sense of Sight) "The kings assembled themselves, advancing all together-" (Sense of Fear, Panic, And Trembling from the coming battle!"; Psalm 2:11; 2 Samuel 10:9-14)
"When they saw they were stunned;  they panicked and ran away frightened." (Sense of fear of the enemy when David sent Joab out to fight with them; Psalm 68:24-25, 28)
"Trembling took hold of them right there-like a woman giving birth," (Exodus 15;15-16)
"Or like the east wind when it smashes the ships of Tarshish." (God in control-Ezekiel 27:25-26; to the end-1Corinthians 14:15)
         Next we consider Psalm 48:8-11-(TEV)-"We have HEARD about what God has done," (Sense of Hearing; Psalm 87:5- establishes it Himself)
"And now we have SEEN it."  (Sense of Sight; 1 Chronicles 16:31)
"In the City of our God, the Lord Almighty;" (Psalm 97:1-2)
"He will keep the city safe forever." (Psalm 48:1)
"Inside Your Temple, God we THINK of Your constant Love." (Sense of Security and Sense of Thought; " (Psalm 26:3)
"You are PRAISED by people everywhere, and Your fame extends over all the earth." (Sense of Talking in Praise; Psalm 89:14-15-one erosion says, "You are praised everywhere for Salvation")
"And Your fame extends over all the earth, YOU RULE WITH JUSTICE;" (Malachi 1:11; Sense of Accomplishment)
"Let the people of Zion be GLAD! (Sense of Joy and happiness; feelings)
"You give Right Judgments; Let there be Joy in the Cities of Judah!" (Sense of extreme Happiness and Feelings of Elation.)
         Last we come to the active Senses of the Feelings, Mind, and Mouth in Psalm 48:12-14-(TLB)-"GO,":
    1. "INSPECT the city!"
    2. "WALK around "
    3. "And COUNT her many towers!"
    4.  "NOTE her walls".   
    5. "And TOUR her palaces,"
    6. "So that you can TELL your children." (So, tell them what God has done for you and can do for them.  The senses are strong, if not stronger, in them then in you.  Senses of Sight, Thought-Life, Walking, Talking and Telling of God's Great Accomplishments is valuable to God!
         We close this chapter and this part of Psalms 46 & 48 with the Psalmist's words,
"FOR THIS GREAT GOD IS OUR GOD FOREVER AND EVER.  HE WILL GUIDE YOU UNTIL WE DIE." (ISAIAH 58:11-12-"THE LORD WILL GUIDE YOU CONTINUALLY, AND SATISFY  YOUR SOUL IN DROUGHT, AND STRENGTHEN YOUR BONES; YOU SHALL BE A WATERED GARDEN, AND LIKE A SPRING OF WATER, WHOSE WATERS DO NOT FAIL.  THOSE FROM AMONG YOU SHALL BUILD THE OLD WASTE PLACES; YOU SHALL RAISE  UP THE FOUNDATIONS OF MANY GENERATIONS; AND YOU SHALL BE CALLED THE  REPAIRER OF THE BREACH, THE RESTORER OF STREETS TO DWELL IN.")
         With this I close part 8 of PRAISE AND WORSHIP!

         Next time...