8) Runaway *Red/Annabeth*

“Are you sure this will get us on that ship Ash?” I ask raising an eyebrow at him.

“It should get us on, as long as you all keep your masks on we should make it through rather easily,” he states. It can’t be that simple.

I look over at Percy and Rowland to see them putting on their masks that covered most of their faces They were also wearing long cloaks with the hoods pulled up to cover their faces more than the mask already was. I too was wearing a large maroon cloak, I had the hood down for now but I kept the scars on my face covered with my ragged hair.

I peered back at the ship which was more lively now that the stars were out, I scanned the people already aboard hoping I would spot either Annabeth or Nico but I had no such luck. Letting out a small sigh I chewed on my lip, nerves biting at my stomach before putting on my masquerade mask on. It was similar to the mask in The Phantom of the Opera, but better since it was red. I had met the Phantom once and he wasn’t as creepy as the play had put him out to be. Silly humans, I thought to myself.

Once my mask was on I pulled my hood up and watched as fireworks lit up the night sky. I whistled the same tune Professor Oak had and in a second Talonflame appeared perching on my shoulder once again. I had sent him to soar above the ship to look For Nico and Annabeth but he hadn’t come back with any news which only means we would have to search for them.

“Come on guys,” I say placing my hand on Annabeth’s dagger which was hidden behind my cloak. “I’m sure Puck is waiting for us on board” I growl through clenched teeth. Nothing will keep me from her, I think as I tug my hood tighter.

***********************************************************************

”Where am I,” I think to myself. Panting, I can barely run down the corridors which seem to be rocking back and forth. I hadn’t realized how long I had been denying mself. Thinking back on it, I feel a rush of exhilaration travel up my spine and I can’t help but smile.

Flashback:

Pain. All over I hurt, and I can’t move out of my position without whimpering. As I push myself up I yelp as my hand slips from under me. Bringing my hand up to my face, I gasp as I look at the deep purple bruise surrounding my slender wrist. The color stands out against my now pale skin, which had once been tan thanks to my Native American ancestry.

Something breaks in me, and I start to laugh. What started as a muted giggle turns into hysterical cackling as I start to cry. Dropping my arm, I ignore the pain as I lay there. This can’t be real. Yeah, the pain’s there, but I don’t feel anything.

Red. Even her name doesn’t bring the same feeling of hope it did before. I wonder if she’s even looking for me. Closing my eyes, I let the slow rocking of the floor lull me.

Wait. Rocking.

“Holy crap I’m either on a boat or on a mission from NASA,” I yell. “Boat! Maybe…” I don’t finish that as for some reason I hear something. A thin scratching comes from the door and I just notice the bare room. The scratching gets louder as I get closer to the door. If I make it in time I can see who it is out of the peephole. Running, I slip on the floor and land on my bad wrist and can’t hold back a hiss of pain.

I can only stare at the door as I hear a click and it opens. Bright lights shine in my eyes and i squint. For who knows how long I’ve been stuck in a dank, scummy basement and now it’s almost the opposite. Too bad I’m not free.

My thoughts of freedom float away as I look at the man standing in front of me. For some reason he doesn’t scare me as much as the others. Short and balding, the man looked almost like my dad. Chocolate eyes glisten as they look at me and I’m surprised at the sadness I see there.