Escape

A/N: I'm sorry that I abandoned this story for so long. I had extreme writers block. Finally, though, I just decided to write, so I wrote this. Hope you like this chapter! :3 I'll be updating a lot more that I'm in summer vacation.

Martin's POV

I knocked softly on her door. "I don't want to hear it Jerome." I heard Maxine's voice say shakily.

"It's me." I say, slowly opening the door.

"Oh, hey Martin." Maxine says, putting down a pillow she had ready to throw and rubbing her eye. Makeup is smeared on her cheek. Shit.

"Are you okay?" Wow you idiot, of course she isn't okay.

She shrugged. "I don't know. I didn't want to hurt Mitch. He's my best friend..."

I sat down next to her. "Do you like him?"

"As a friend, yeah. But not...not like that."

"Oh." We sat in silence. I read some of the quotes she had on the walls.

"Why do you have...?" I said, pointing at the papers scattered all over the walls.

She shrugs. "They keep me happy."

I stared at them. "There's a lot of them." I mentally slapped myself. Whenever I was nervous, I had a habit of stating the obvious. And being around Maxine made me nervous. She was so pretty and nice and I really liked her.

She stared at me like I was from a different planet. Wow, I fucked up. There goes all my chances with her.

She blinked and rubbed her eye. "Hey, Martin, I understand that you're trying to be nice, but I just want to be left alone."

I nodded. "Sorry to bother you." I said.

She said nothing as I walked out of the room.

Maxine's POV

I watched as the door swung shut behind Martin. I gotta admit, maybe I do have a crush on him.

I rubbed my face in my hands. Ugh, I need fresh air.

I stood up and went over to my desk and scribbled out a note:

Hey guys,

Sorry, I needed some fresh air. I went out for a walk. I'll be back soon, I promise.

-Maxine

I folded it up and tossed it on my bed, hoping they would see it and wouldn't freak out or anything. I scribbled READ on it.

I slipped on my black sunglasses, pulled my volleyball sweatshirt over my head, and opened the window.

Stepping out onto the roof, I was surprised by how slanted it was.

Just try not to die, OK, Maxine? I told myself.

I made my way to the edge of the roof. A few feet from the edge was a tree limb. I hoped it was stable.

I put one hand on the roof and reached out. I couldn't reach the limb.

I would have to jump.

I stood up and stared at the tree. "Now or never, I guess." I said to no one.

I took a few steps back, eyed my target, and started running.

When I reached the edge of the roof, I leaped forward, my hands outstretched.

I flew forward.

I fell.

I missed.

I landed on the ground.