five || off the sidelines

ACT ONE; CHAPTER FIVEOFF THE SIDELINES

OFF THE SIDELINES

--

BY THE TIME the beginning of the Hogsmeade weekend rolled around, Eleanor was regretting every choice she had ever made up until that point. From, dramatically, being born to agreeing to commentate Quidditch – which Professor made a point of mentioning it's train wreck worthy title every Transfiguration lesson since – to even going to classes that week. The latter decision was something she believed contributed highly to Regulus not forgetting as he could almost definitely find her in class to remind her of their 'date'.

                Something that, each time it happened, would result in Eleanor's head slamming onto the table and Pandora apologising profusely for handing the parchment that contained the prized offer that day in the commentators stand.

                Regardless of every step, breath and decision she'd made since birth, she hadn't managed to avoid a date with Regulus Black... although, she was referring to it as a torture tactic rather than the d-word. So, when the torture tactic rolled around, all Eleanor could really do was tug at the sleeve of her jumper while looking around impatiently for Regulus. Of course, he was late, it was no surprise to Eleanor who knew he would be doing everything in his power to annoy her; however, she still wished he'd hurry up so they could get the torture tactic over with.

                Just as she was beginning to contemplate abandoning her good Slytherin trait of sticking to deals and bets and leaving, Eleanor caught sight of a boy sprinting up to her. Clumsily Regulus skidded to a stop, only narrowly missing tackling her, and struggled to quickly gain back his breath. The girl began to complain about his lateness until he lifted his head up to run his hands through his hair and she spotted the distress on his face.

                "Regulus, wha—"

                "We have a problem!" He exclaimed, the second his breath returned to him. "And I need your help."

                Looking at him warily, Eleanor noticed his blue eyes that were even brighter as the winter sun danced upon them was full of worry. He'd also yet to stop anxiously messing up his hair – a habit that Sirius also had in bad situations, since he would never happily mess up his hair – and Eleanor's gaze softened a little.

                "Why should I believe you?"

                With a lopsided grin, the boy shrugged. "Do you really think the words 'I need your help' would ever come out of my mouth if it wasn't serious."

                Admittedly, Eleanor knew she'd regret it in the future. No matter how much her brain was screaming at her not to do anything stupid, she took yet another glance at the boy and she couldn't help but reply, "What's wrong?"