Chapter Eleven: Try

Rey's POV

"Rey! Ben's here to see you!" My grandfather called me from downstairs, and as soon as I realized who was here to see me, I panicked. Oh no...

"Um, I'm studying, grandpa. We've got a quiz tomorrow." I said, hoping that my grandpa would believe me.

"I'm sure your studying could pause for a bit." He yelled back sternly.

"But--"

"Rey, your fiancé is here to see you. He says he needs to tell you something important about your relationship." I scoffed at the last word. Relationship. Hmm...I thought we had no more relationship? Oh well, I should just tell him, otherwise he'll storm up to my room and see me not studying and just staring at my phone, with dry tears in my eyes.

"Fine." I closed my phone and put it in my pocket. I slowly made my way downstairs, having second thoughts on this. What does he want to talk about? Probably wants me to help him break off our arranged marriage.

As I stepped downstairs, Ben turned to look at me, and he had a sad look on his face. Hours ago, I'd seen him look so fierce and had an evil smirk on his face; but now, his face showed guilt and sadness. Serves him right for what he did to me, really.

"Benjamin, I'd like to talk to her privately." My grandfather nodded, then went into the living room, leaving Ben and I alone on the bottom of the stairs. He sighed and looked down at his feet.

"I'm sorry." He said, his voice cracking at the last word. I've never seen him like this before; he somehow just seemed so broken. I didn't feel bad for him, though, he hurt me, and he deserves to feel what he's feeling right now. I remained silent, not wanting myself to forgive him easily, just like I did before. If he wants to be forgiven, I want it to be proven, not said.

"Sorry isn't enough anymore, isn't it?" I crossed my arms against my chest, anger boiling up inside of me. Does he really think that a goddamn apology will make me forget what he's done?

"I...I'm really sorry. Please forgive me, Rey, I let my anger get the best of me, again, and I just...I did that out of jealousy. You see, Melissa had a plan to break up you and me. She used a girl named Jessica to fix her hair to look like yours, then she mad him kiss another guy, and I saw them kissing from behind, and seeing as your hairstyle was different from pretty much every girl in our school, I assumed that the girl was you. You have to understand that I really care about you, and that's why I did it. I thought that by making you hurt just like the way I was, I could show you what you made me feel. Turns out, I was the one hurting you the entire time." He had tears in his eyes, and I did, too. He tried to take my hand in his, but I pulled them away, and with tears in my eyes, I shook my head.

"I don't know, Ben. How many times are we going to say sorry to each other? Do you think that we'll make it through if we keep this up?"

"We can try, Rey, please. I care a lot about you more than you think, and I may not show it, but I never want to lose you. Please, Rey." He took a step closer to me, but I didn't back up, and he caressed my face.

"Ben..."

"Please?" I knew that saying yes to him and getting back into a relationship would lead to more fighting, but wasn't it worth it? Isn't fighting what keeps us together? Every time we fight, we always come back to each other.

"Yes." He pulled me into a tight embrace, as if we hadn't done this in a long while, when it's only been a few hours since we had 'broken up'. He sighed into my hair, while I nuzzled my head in his neck, giving me the familiar feeling of us being together.

A/N: I told you things would get better. Just two chapters of them being broken up, then they're back to being together already. I'm also thinking of making a story about Newt from Maze Runner, but I'm deciding if I should publish it and make it a Newt x Reader or Newt x OC, though I might end up publishing it when I'm almost done with this book. What do you think? Anyway, thanks for reading!